New Minis! (new note on flying)

rainplace

Interstellar Duck Academy
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Northwestern Washington
We drove down to Oregon and picked up a pair of Oregon Mini Geese from Holderread last night. We also got a mini out of his mini pilgrim breedings, though the goose I brought home isn't a breeder, I'll be using her for lawn decoration and sitting duck eggs. (edit because I posted misinformation - all three are Oregon Mini Geese - I misremembered or misunderstood what I heard when I picked her up)

Next to Rommy (roman gander) for size comparison: (edit - this is the non-breeding female)
P1010096.jpg

Next to Rommy and Ranaya (chinese) (edit this is the non breeding female)
P1010093.jpg

Here's the other goose in the pond with a fawn/white runner:
P1010094.jpg

I was a dingbat and hadn't checked my cage out correctly and the gander tore himself up inside. (he also tore up one of the females, you can see what he did in the second picture above
sad.png
) so I put him in the bathtub to clean all the blood off. His wings are a bit shredded, but he's still a handsome guy
smile.png

P1010080.jpg

from the other side:
P1010081.jpg

Dave says he's been a little overfed and should lose a little weight.

Everyone is now out in the yard with the rest of the flock. So far they are doing well. Ranaya is extremely upset with the new females she's making sure they know she's top goose. Rommy keeps grooming the new gander, it's strange.

Last edited:
no not a mini-pilgrim gander. though I'm sure they have pilgrim in them.... only way they could be auto-sexed, yes?
edit - they do not have pilgrim in them

Last edited:
b.hromada :

Those are adorable! Hope all ends well with their wounds.
fl.gif

It appears all wounds were superficial... thank goodness! It was the first time I've had to deal with blood on my waterfowl, so I was a bit paranoid.​

I wouldn't worry too much unless it's quite a lot of blood. I have one remaining white wyandotte roo from the great dog attack of 2009 who hardly had any skin left on his back and had been gifted with a second hole to poop from. The only reason I didn't cull him is his appetite and attitude was never sickly, and he's never acted off a day. He recovered without any issues whatsoever.
I haven't had any injuries on my geese, other than a little bit of a sore on the bill on my gander when he attacked a few inanimate objects last breeding season. He went kung fu on a white feed bucket, a new galvanized trough, etc before calming down. That also healed without any problems.

Did you ever find the source of the blood?

I did. There were a few sources.

From the male: If I understand wing anatomy, most of the bleeding was coming from the skin surrounding the humerus (is that the bone that goes into the "shoulder?") and there's a smaller wound around what I believe is the alula. It was the smaller wound that had the dripping blood that at first made me think he was bleeding from a feather.

On the female: There was bleeding on her face under the eye, but most of the blood I saw on her was from the male.

I learned a good lesson and am lucky there wasn't "real" injury to my birds. I don't think I'll be able to show the male at the end of January though.

Back
Top Bottom