New Minis! (new note on flying)

Quote:
Quote:
Since I have not bred them yet, I can only go with the information supplied by Holderread, which I'm certain is accurate. I bolded that part of the email for you.

Quote:
No the Pilgrims are not the only auto-sexing breed the Shetland Geese that Dave used to sell were also auto-sexing and much smaller than the Pilgrims. There are also several known Land-race breeds like the Cotton Patch geese scattered around in pockets of the country. It is debated if the land-race birds are actually a breed or a group of breeds.

Can they fly! if well muscled and fine boned like you describe they should be good flyers if kept in condition and their weight down. The only draw back I see is those very short legs which is going to make getting enough ground speed for take off a problem (it was a problem with Romans) If you happen to get a picture of one with the wings spread I would love to see one. They look like the geese I have been searching for for the last ten years.

Here's a picture of the gander stretching.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/rainplace/Oregon Minis/P1010036-1.jpg

Dave says they don't fly much, but can. I had to move quickly through the yard day before yesterday and startled them enough that they flew down into the lower yard. I admit I wasn't paying much attention as I was trying to chase my cat away from the two ducklings, however they all got air and landed gracefully. It's the only time I've seen them take to the air. The gander is about a pound or so overweight, but is slowly losing it.

They are not very loud, though the females can put out a honk if they want. The male sorta squeaks, when he tries to make a racket he almost sounds like a hawk. I'm not sure if this true of all the males, but it's an interesting sound mixed into the yard that I enjoy.

They are getting along with the other geese and the ducks even with the overcrowding I have going on in the duck house during the long nights right now.

I bought two of the smallest he had available.

Here's another picture of the gander:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/rainplace/Oregon Minis/P1010076-1.jpg

Thanks for the picture and the information. I was hoping for a more impressive wing span but his wings actually look quite short when compared to body length. I guess I will hold off in hopes that another breeder I know of in the Midwest is able to stabilize and reproduce his Flying goose project. He is breeding snow/blue geese to a domestic smaller goose. not only do they fly like ,well, geese but their wings are large enough to allow them to soar without flapping for short periods I don't know the proper term for the feather markings but each white feather is edged with dark color so when the wings are folded it looks like scales or chain mail armor! The gray version looks like steel and the blue version looks like silver. The best are very handsome and the worst are sort of muddy looking where the feather edges are not distinct. Thanks again for your help and post more when you have lived with your Oregon minis and have more to report. I am very interested.

OH MY GEEZUS!!!!

Rainplace those females are just absolutly STUNNING!! You are so lucky to have been able to get a few of those cuties!!!

I've gone through my posts and edited information that was inaccurate.

This is what I've edited:
The mini pilgrims are called that because of coloring, not because they have pilgrim in them.
All three of mine, including the non-breeder are Mini Oregon Geese

Another note on flying:

The smaller female regularly flies from the duck house, which is at the bottom of the property, to the top where the feeding area is. She doesn't need to run to get the air needed to fly. She does this every morning that I can't get the ramp down before the "stampede" when I let them out in the morning. She does not like the jump down into the yard. Like Dave said though, she doesn't seem inclined to fly. She is the only one who won't flap up into the duck house at night if the ramp isn't down, which I find odd.

I've only seen the other female fly once, which I mentioned in an earlier post, and the gander I've seen fly a few more times... down the yard to quickly get back with the flock... once off the rock wall, and twice with a running start.

Do you ever sell Oregon mini goose hatching eggs?

We drove down to Oregon and picked up a pair of Oregon Mini Geese from Holderread last night. We also got a mini out of his mini pilgrim breedings, though the goose I brought home isn't a breeder, I'll be using her for lawn decoration and sitting duck eggs. (edit because I posted misinformation - all three are Oregon Mini Geese - I misremembered or misunderstood what I heard when I picked her up)

Next to Rommy (roman gander) for size comparison: (edit - this is the non-breeding female)
P1010096.jpg

Next to Rommy and Ranaya (chinese) (edit this is the non breeding female)
P1010093.jpg

Here's the other goose in the pond with a fawn/white runner:
P1010094.jpg

I was a dingbat and hadn't checked my cage out correctly and the gander tore himself up inside. (he also tore up one of the females, you can see what he did in the second picture above
sad.png
) so I put him in the bathtub to clean all the blood off. His wings are a bit shredded, but he's still a handsome guy
smile.png

P1010080.jpg

from the other side:
P1010081.jpg

Dave says he's been a little overfed and should lose a little weight.

Everyone is now out in the yard with the rest of the flock. So far they are doing well. Ranaya is extremely upset with the new females she's making sure they know she's top goose. Rommy keeps grooming the new gander, it's strange.

Back
Top Bottom