HELP! 8MO BO MIX - lethargic, not eating, white/glazed eyes

plantlady

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 3, 2009
Wheat Ridge, CO
Buff orpington mix rooster hatched first week of June 2009, weighs over 8 pounds

Has been lethargic for at least three days, sleeping WAY more than normal (basically sleeping all the time) and eating less/not eating. His eyes are milky and there is fluid on his comb and wattle, dried to look like boogers but it appears to be coming from his comb/wattle not his nose. There re also blisters (clear raised areas) on his comb and wattle. He's also been shaking his head, as if to try and clear something out.

He just finished a course of doxycycline hyclate (100 mg, 2 pills 2x/day) for the 2nd upper respiratory infection in a row (which was not related to this, that I know of).

I have examined most of his body and there does not appear to be any trauma.

I don't think he's eaten anything since yesterday afternoon. He did just now drink some water.

Poop seems normal.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - none, He loves meat, so should I give some cat food to see if he'll eat? (His favorite)

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I plan to take him to the vet tomorrow. Wish I could have gotten him in Saturday! (yesterday)

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it (see below)

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Straw on the floor of the garage and roosting areas.

Last edited:
45319_img_2035.jpg

Here's a pic. Note glazed eyes and crud on his comb.

Thanks, I didn't see his specific symptoms on there, but I will let everyone know what the vet says tomorrow. I hate to spend so much money at the vet (especially when they treat as 'pets' - you don't even want to know how much I spent when he somehow punctured his foot with a sharp stick), but I can't let him suffer.

Last edited:
Quote:
The legs may be a little red, but I just examined for blood blisters and did not see any. What would that mean?

He got out & about a little bit in the yard today, but still slept the majority of the day. Once I even saw him walking with his eyes closed! He just seems so exhausted. But at least he didn't (apparently) go downhill any farther today, and he did drink some water this morning. He sort of acted like he wanted to hunt & peck in the yard a little, like normal, but he didn't have the energy. I've offered him everything (except cat food) food-wise: fresh veggies, cooked veggies, fermented veggies... he won't go for it. He's a little more wary than normal though because of the force-fed doxycycline lately.

Update:
I took Mesmer to the vet today, and she didn't know what was wrong with him either. He has a fever and she said his eyes are milky because of inflammation of the corneas (the rest of him is pretty much inflamed too). She did a cytology (microscope examination) of the blisters but didn't see anything besides red and white blood cells. He has a fever.

He got subcutaneous fluids.
She prescribed sulfadiazine cream to rub on his comb and wattle 2 - 3 times a day, and also sulfa/trimethoprim liquid antibiotic which she said is broader spectrum than the doxy I had for the respiratory infection.

I am supposed to hand feed and water him which will be a challenge. I had mastered getting pills in him with the old antibiotics, but liquids are more challenging.

I saw him poop just now, and it was yellow liquid. I plan to mix the juice from lactofermented vegetables into his baby food (lactofermented vegetables contain probiotics).

He appears stable (not getting worse). Still basically just sleeping all the time.

Please keep us in your thoughts and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom