Black Bean Chocolate Cake

TammyTX

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
Well, PaulaJoAnne clued me in on making a chocolate cake using black beans. I made one yesterday. The beans replaced ALL of the flour in the cake.

The cake is very moist, and it looks very much like the photo except that the recipe only makes one layer...

As far as taste....It's alright. I can taste the black beans even though I rinsed them. I let it sit for 8 hours as per instructions. If it wasn't for the frosting I would probably not make it again. But for a low carb (but HIGH fat) chocolate cake, I don't think you'll find much better.

This is the link:
http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/2009/05/healthy-chocolate-cake-with-secret.html

I would be interested in hearing from other people who have made similar recipes using beans instead of flour.

Yummy
ya.gif

I haven't tried using black beans yet but I have made a choc. cake with beets and spinach before. Honestly my kids never even knew I had thrown some in until after I told them what was in it.
wink.png

I was experimenting with Adzuki beans the other day. They're a small chinese red bean that is often used in sweets in china. I didn't like them and did not think they were worth the effort, but you might want to try them.

The cake was definately better the next day after it sat for about 16 hours.

My husband loved it and ate almost all of it by himself. The cake stayed pretty moist but I still think it was the chocolate, butter, vanilla and Splenda frosting that made the cake good.

I have heard of the bean paste desserts.....and I am going to the Asian market this weekend to try some shirataki noodles....we'll see if I can find the beans, too.

Several of my low carb forum buddies are BIG black bean brownie fans. I haven't tried them yet. I may make them for a superbowl party and not tell anyone. Bwaa haa haa!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Are you the one who used the fake sweetner?
If so, that is most of the problem. You need to use real honey. And no need to be afraid of it either.
Honey does not mess with blood sugar levels in the same way refined sugars do.
Plus the fact that its high in good fat makes for much slower sugar uptake.

Real fats are nothing to be afraid of.
Diabetics thrive on high fat diets, and do not have the issues with heart problems and healing issues, like those on the strict medical diabetic diets do.
Saturated fats are required for health.
Every cell in our body is comprised of 50% saturated fat, and our brain must have fat to remain healthy,
Remember, the low fat revolution, just made people fatter.
Also, you can use slightly more honey as well.

Oh, and we eat it with raw cream on top.

Hint on the Splenda. Its chlorinated processed sugar
sickbyc.gif

I used imitation honey for the cake and Splenda Blend for the frosting.

The cake still tasted like beans to me. If I didn't know the taste was from the beans I would have thought the cake just had an "off" taste.

If I make it again I think I'll use Dutch process cocoa and a bit of coffee.

Back
Top Bottom