Can chickens eat cake

Chicken_girl17

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Oregon
I have a Bantam polish rooster and about 40 other chickens but my polish is very special to me he was an only child and I held him any chance I could get when he was younger and still do
So his first birthday was on April 2 and I made a cake for him because of quarantine I have nothing better to do we’re having his “party” tomorrow and I was wondering can he eat his cake it’s a triple chocolate cake with home made vanilla bean butter cream icing with fresh from the bean vanilla and food coloring I would not give them but a tiny slice broken up for the whole coop to have some. and some seeds I just want to know if they can eat it

btw what do you think of my frosting skills he is a white crested black Bantam polish
59394A26-DCC3-4D71-821B-C1CB6FB33855.jpeg
14EF8D1F-5DD7-4E4B-9E48-244D4BAC6D3C.jpeg

I have a Bantam polish rooster and about 40 other chickens but my polish is very special to me he was an only child and I held him any chance I could get when he was younger and still do
So his first birthday was on April 2 and I made a cake for him because of quarantine I have nothing better to do we’re having his “party” tomorrow and I was wondering can he eat his cake it’s a triple chocolate cake with home made vanilla bean butter cream icing with fresh from the bean vanilla and food coloring I would not give them but a tiny slice broken up for the whole coop to have some. and some seeds I just want to know if they can eat it

btw what do you think of my frosting skills he is a white crested black Bantam polish View attachment 2078557View attachment 2078558
Cake? hahaha! why? Who's Birthday is it? your roost looks really nice. I hope he won't get sick because of eating the cake. :D

Handsome fellow! I read that chocolate can be TOXIC to chickens. Sugar isn't good for them, either. Why not give him some meal worms or sunflower seeds all for himself. More cake for you!!!

Very nice cake!

But, yes, the issue with chocolate is one of its main flavor compounds - theobromine - which is toxic to many animals. Also. I think chickens aren't equipped to digest milk products (milk fats, proteins, sugars) so much of the frosting would pass through them (if they'd even eat it - mine dont even like the texture of mushy fruits, one bite and they spend 5 minutes wiping the "goo" off their beaks..)

It's very cute but I'd make a chicken friendly one too, maybe take some chopped up fruit and grains and press it into a cake shape. Decorate with more fruit or some seeds on top.

Chocolate is a BIG no-no for chickens. If it was, say, a carrot cake I would say a little bit of it for one day isn't going to hurt or kill your birds. But chocolate is *super* toxic to most animals.

You could probably share a couple teaspoons of the frosting with him without it really being a problem. But chocolate is always no bueno.

Next birthday go with vanilla and only give them a little bit...sugar isn’t great for them but it not good for us either (he said with another Easter jelly beans in his mouth).

As far as dairy...chickens have been fed skim milk on dairy farms for centuries, and lot of folks treat with yogurt and cheese, so if the frosting gets‘em, it probably isn’t the dairy.

Back
Top Bottom