Frostbite? pics UPDATE

Buster

Back to Work
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
The Frozen Wasteland of Idaho
I originally thought this rooster had scaly leg mites until I posted pics. dlhunicorn said it may be bumblefoot. Does anyone have other ideas? I'd really like to fix this guy. Here are some of the treatments I've found:
http://www.geocities.com/KelliAnn293/healthproblems.htm#BumbleFoot
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755

If there is anyone with additional ideas on whether this is bumblefoot or other treatments for bumblefoot, I would appreciate your input.
The dark spots on the feet are scabs and there is also a pic of the frostbite on his comb. We've been putting bag balm on it. It's dark in spots (on the comb, not the tips) because of the bag balm.
Jed4.jpg

Jed3.jpg

Jed1.jpg

Jed2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Speckledhen has dealt with bumblefoot...try the search button...type in bumblefoot and her name...

I'll bump this up so someone else might see it..I've never dealt with Bumblefoot problems....knocking on wood...

Our hen Tira (RIP) had bumblefoot, but it looked like hard scabs over swellings on the bottom of her feet and on her toes. I am DEFINATELY NOT saying that is not bumblefoot, just sharing my experience with what Tira's looked like. Whatever it is, it doesn't look like it feels good...:|

While any staff infection of the foot can be called bumblefoot, I've not encoutered anything like what you have here before. It could be an infected injury, scaly leg mites gone wild or something else. In any case, those feet should probably be soaked in saline/epsom salt solution for awhile each day, then cleaned/gently scrubbed with perhaps liquid Bactine on a clean toothbrush so you can see what you're really dealing with here. The bumblefoot I've had was on the foot pad and I still have to deal with a girl who gets a recurrence from time to time-I believe I have alot of staff in our soil here. You'll need to wrap the feet after the soak and put him in a cage/kennel with soft shavings to keep him out of dirt/germs.
Terramycin that was recommended on the other site you listed won't do much for a staff infection. I'd try topical treatments and just skip a too-weak antibiotic-it just won't help much, can't hurt, but won't really help. First clean that foot up some and do some soaks and see what happens.

You think the foot is frostbite? Hmm, doesnt look that way to me, but like I said, I've never had an injury like that here. Poor guy, no matter what's wrong with him. The mild saline won't hurt if it's frostbite. I'd love to hear what Peter Brown would say, if he's in town.

Back
Top Bottom