3 more got killed! NEVERMIND! 1 **REVIVED**! GRAPHIC pics on pg 2!

kyeschicks

Serama Chicken Enthusiast
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Texas
from here and one there's going to be no more FREE RANGING! this is the 6th incident! a few days ago my chickens were free raging and a cat got into my backyard and killed one hen along with her chicks. And now today I lost 3 more! and I'm guessing it was a cat again! and my rooster is still alive! my rooster always survived all this incidents! this is the 6th incident! wow I've been having bad luck with chickens since I got them
sad.png
I guess they'll be locked up in their coop for the rest of their lives...... I started with 20 then 9 and now I have 6 chickens left!

Last edited:
They don't have to be locked up for the rest of their lives. I've never had any predator problems (
fl.gif
) and we only let the birds out for a few hours at the end of the day, when I'm moving about and am able to keep an eye on them. This way, I can rest easy knowing that they are safe and then they get to spread their wings and be free later on. It's not a fool-proof solution but it tempts fate less.

I'm sorry though. Our neighbor has upwards of 10 ferals. They haven't desired a taste for chicken...yet...and I hope dearly that it stays this way. I hope you can find a way to work it out.
hugs.gif

Yeah, the safest way to free range is if you're outside at the same time. So I free range the most in summer. I can sit on the deck, reading a book and have chickens all around me. I've only had trouble when I've had to duck into the house or leave the area.

So sorry.
sad.png

I usually stay out there with my chicks for free range time. There are a few cats that wander around and I feel better being there. I'd say let them out when you or someone is out in the yard with them. Mine have not been out in a long time .... Too much snow here in the north east and they don't like it at all! LOL!

Quote:
sorry to hear that. Are you sure it was a cat? My cats a re pretty serious hunters but when we had a mother hen and chicks, if the cat even looked in her direction she puffed up and ran at it and it took off so fast it wasn't funny. How old/big are you chickens?

Quote:
sorry to hear that. Are you sure it was a cat? My cats a re pretty serious hunters but when we had a mother hen and chicks, if the cat even looked in her direction she puffed up and ran at it and it took off so fast it wasn't funny. How old/big are you chickens?

between 1-4 years

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss, it sounds like it's been tough.

I have a feral cat around my house that gets into my garbage when we leave it out. I never thought a CAT would be able to take down a full grown chicken.
What kind of chickens do you have? I'm thinking they might be bantams? I'm hoping, because I have RIRs and they weight a good 6lbs, probably as much as the cat weighs!

Quote:
Mr Cat will return. Your place has the 'welcome predator' mat out in his mind. Buy or borrow a havahart trap and bait it with tuna or raw chicken parts such as livers. Then just decide on how to kill it.
wink.png

I am afraid to free range so I did a 2000 sq ft run and I see to it that the chooks get tons of raw greens year round. Can't do anything about bugs tho. They cleaned them out in one week. When my flock ages and production drops a lot, I will allow free ranging to reduce my feed bill and no doubt some will get picked off. What I need to do then is find out who is laying and who is not and allow the non-producers out all day. That will require segregating them some way for a short while to find out about that.

Last edited:
one more got killed
sad.png
I was outside taking the trash out and I went inside cuz my little brother was crying (it took me like 15mins) and I came back and one was missing
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom