Rcom Suro King Incubator official thread ***HIGH ALERT***see post 93

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
Gosh...I've never posted an "official thread" before. I just thought if we could keep this one updated it would be easy for new users to ask questions.

With that said, I just got mine today.

Easy to set up, temp stable for 3 hours, humidity within normal range. All good...except...I HATE the plastic bars that hold the eggs. I have different sizes of silkie eggs and it's highly inadequate to hold them upright.

The bars bend and make it difficult to put eggs in the adjacent slots. I finally took all the bars out and cut down an egg carton and put them in that.

I think that I will make some dividers out of wire coat hangers like the Brinsea dividers. The other option is to place a doubled piece of wire coat hanger next to the plastic bar and then wrap it with something like the spongy drawer liner. I'll figure something out.

Any suggestions??

Last edited:
The rails are frustrating with mixed egg shapes and sizes, I had to put all the narrow eggs in one row, all the round fat eggs in a row, and all the bantys in another row. Someone on here posted a pic with an egg tray cut to fit the Suro. I'm tempted to make dividers out of plastic canvas some time, could use dental floss to "sew" it together. Its a mesh so it would probably have better airflow than egg cartons.

Here are my pics on how I set the paper egg carton up in my suro 20, It seem to but to the sponge at the top so I shorten the sponge and brought it up a little and hatch all six bantys successfully. Hope this works for you also
IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Here is one of last babys to hatch, he got out of the egg carton and then jump back in! Guess he felt safe, lol
IMG_0458-1.jpg

I need to shorten the humidity sponge also. It's way to deep and actually touches one of the eggs. When I candle at 8 days, I'll make some adjustments. I put a spot thermometer down in the ventilation hole and with the bator set at 100.0 which flashes between 99.7 and 100.2 it seems to stay right at 100 which is where I like to incubate.

It seems like the humidity wants to remain slightly on the lower side. I set the machine for 40% and it seems to be staying about 38%. I can live with that. I don't have a small hygrometer to check it with...gonna' look for one on Ebay today
smile.png

I cut down an eggs carton and used it too. I like hatching in a carton, but would like to figure out something else that will hold the eggs upright while turning and can be used for hatching but would allow a bit more room for the chicks when they hatch. There's not much headroom in their. Of course, I'm hatching silkies so they are pretty small.

Beware of the paper egg carton, I really don't know if I'll use it again. I noticed on the inside of the bator, there are little fibers from it. Next time I'll use one of the styrofoam egg carton and cut it down a little further than I did for the other. By the way that baby is a little blacktailed banty mix from an assortment of buff and white and millefleur. Three of them had feathers on their feet and 3 did not and only one white one. Can't wait to see what they'll look like.

I am using my RCom Suro King Incubator for the first time...I have 8 silkie eggs in an egg carton in lockdown as we speak...I have 2 that have pipped but one that hasn't made any progress since about 2:00 a.m this morning...So far the incubator has done well with keeping the temp where it needs to be and the humidity I have set at 70% and it is reading about 68%...

I am waiting for my Brisnea Spot thermometer to arrive so I can check the temp with it to make sure it is correct before putting in the next batch...Not sure what kind of Hygrometer I should buy to check the humidity...

I purchased a plastic egg rack and cut it to fit the incubator to set the eggs in for incubation (it will hold 20 eggs)...I thought it would keep the eggs upright easier than the plastic dividers that the incubator came with...If I fill the incubator to capacity the next time I am thinking of just taking the plastic egg tray out with the eggs and using my Hovabator for lockdown...

I had no problem setting up the incubator...It looks like it is going to be easy to clean...I sure hope my babies make it out of their shells today!....I am sitting on my hands, pacing the floor and cheeping at the incubator trying to cheer them on...I hate the waiting!

~Laura

I'm incubating at this time and my temp is set at 100.0 and humidity at 40%. As of today, the temp is holding steady at 100.0 (I put a spot thermometer that I got in the kitchen section of Walmart in the ventilation hole and it says 100 exactly.) Today my humidity is holding at 40% as well.

I really like it so far. I work all day and just have to have something that is automatic and doesn't require fiddling with. My DH is retired and home during the day but he doesn't DO CHICKEN stuff...especially unless I special request it and call to remind him.
roll.png

When I candle the next time, I'm going to cut down the humidity pad and make it less deep. I noticed that you can push the plastic holders up another notch and I'm definitely going to do that. It is just about touching the eggs and I've got bantam eggs in there.

Quote:
What will you set your humidity at for lockdown?...I did cut my pad down a bit when I set up the bator...I think my pads are up a notch...

~Laura

Back
Top Bottom