Girl's Grass Box

SandyK

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Eldersburg, Maryland
Here's a picture of the box DH made for me to grow grass in during the months when the girls aren't allowed in the yard to free range. I have too many flower beds and a garden for them to run through. Late summer I usually give in and let them out while I'm outside with them to keep a "hawk" eye on them so nothing gets them. The box has worked wonderful and it's the first place they check every morning. Now I've also thrown some of the rye grass seed along the fence border to give me easy access to more to pull and throw to them. The box is about 8 feet long and 1 1/2 feet wide I think. The poultry fencing on top keeps them from killing it.

36329_img_9274.jpg

Very clever indeed. And if those boxes were set on tables or simply given legs (depending how it's supported below), you effectively increase the square footage in your run, provide new roosting spots, and provide extra shade. I like it.
big_smile.png

It's yours Jess! I actually am growing the grass right in the ground below the box. Took some of my good compost and worked it in the soil, used the rye grass seed which comes up very fast and it has been there growing since the end of March probably. I thought it would die out and I would have to reseed. Not so far.

So did you place the poultry netting on top of the soil or on top of the box? I love this idea and am thinking I will do it myself.

That's brilliant.
smile.png

I might be one of those that also 'borrows' this idea. Our chickens aren't free-range at all (far too many dangerous things out there that would see them as lunch), and I have been trying to give them chunks of sod to play with....but this is a really good idea!

Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom