Cuckoo Maran or Barred Rock??

IroquoisEgg

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Fair Oaks, CA
Is my girl a Barred Rock as we were told at store or a Cuckoo Maran? Also, she started occasionally nipping at me when I reach my hand in to pick up a flock member or put them back in. What's that about? Usually such a sweetheart.

59074_chickentonight_004.jpg

59074_chickentonight_002.jpg

I am going to vote a Barred Rock pullet.

The nipping thing? The only thing I can think of is she is experimenting to see if you are, or have, food. My 13 week old Barred Rock occasionally will peck at me even now, usually I give a stern "Ah ah!" and she stops, looks at me, and does a low long "Bwuaaaaaaaaak...?" It is halarious. It also might just be a stage. She is cute regardless
big_smile.png

Looks like a Marans I think. The Barred Rocks have yellow legs while the Maran is more of a whitish color. I have one of each and the baby chicks do look very similar.

I don't see feathers on the legs. I have 2 Cuckoo Marans girls I bought at 5 months old; they have a skinny line of feathers on each leg. So I vote Barred Rock
smile.png

Thanks all! But, it still seems a bit equal on both sides!!! haha, she's a doll though so it doesn't really matter, I just really like knowing what I have! I don't understand people who have chickens and for years and still haven't figured out what kind they are! It would drive me nuts! But to each their own!!

If I remember correctly my barred rocks developed more black on their legs as they grew. They began more yellow and then got blacker. I don't think they are supposed to have feathers on their legs. That said, I have never had a CM so I am not sure as to which one your chick is. Cute though! Barred rocks are full of personality, the nipping may be an indication of this. Ours flew on top of everything they could.

Back
Top Bottom