Cuckoo Maran or Barred Rock??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IroquoisEgg, Jun 28, 2010.

1. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Songster

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Is my girl a Barred Rock as we were told at store or a Cuckoo Maran? Also, she started occasionally nipping at me when I reach my hand in to pick up a flock member or put them back in. What's that about? Usually such a sweetheart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Looks like a CM (Cockoo Maran) to me.

3. WallTenters

WallTenters Songster

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    CM should have white leggs - her legs look yellow with the sooty black indicating a pullet, so I vote BR.

4. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Songster

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    okay gang, it's one to one. Any more votes?

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am going to vote a Barred Rock pullet.

The nipping thing? The only thing I can think of is she is experimenting to see if you are, or have, food. My 13 week old Barred Rock occasionally will peck at me even now, usually I give a stern "Ah ah!" and she stops, looks at me, and does a low long "Bwuaaaaaaaaak...?" It is halarious. It also might just be a stage. She is cute regardless [​IMG]

6. chknmama

chknmama In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Sacramento
    Looks like a Marans I think. The Barred Rocks have yellow legs while the Maran is more of a whitish color. I have one of each and the baby chicks do look very similar.

7. joel david

joel david Aggro Backyard Farmer

Feb 22, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Looks just like my Barred Rocks did.

8. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I don't see feathers on the legs. I have 2 Cuckoo Marans girls I bought at 5 months old; they have a skinny line of feathers on each leg. So I vote Barred Rock [​IMG]

9. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Songster

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Thanks all! But, it still seems a bit equal on both sides!!! haha, she's a doll though so it doesn't really matter, I just really like knowing what I have! I don't understand people who have chickens and for years and still haven't figured out what kind they are! It would drive me nuts! But to each their own!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Songster

Jul 3, 2009
    If I remember correctly my barred rocks developed more black on their legs as they grew. They began more yellow and then got blacker. I don't think they are supposed to have feathers on their legs. That said, I have never had a CM so I am not sure as to which one your chick is. Cute though! Barred rocks are full of personality, the nipping may be an indication of this. Ours flew on top of everything they could.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by