How long are eggs good for?

bigspringshatchery

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Roanoke Alabama
How long are eggs good for out of the fridge? I keep some in the fridge that I sell for eating and I keep some out for a guy to hatch. Bit a man wants more eggs than I got. But I got one dozen out of fridge. They have been in my house every since the day they were laid at about 75 to 78 degrees. And no more than 4 or 5 days. Would they be same to sell to him to eat or no? And while on the subject how long can yard eggs stay good in fridge? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Eggs last for a long time! My chickens hasn't started laying yet, so I hope someone else can chime in here if I say something that's not correct. A friend of mine has chickens, and he says sometimes he can go days without picking up eggs, and they don't go bad. It's my understanding that it's not necessarily hot weather that's bad for eggs, but temperature fluctuations. This is why you should keep the eggs you buy at the store in the fridge. According to the link below, FDA says eggs are good for 45 days after the packaging date, but I am sure they will last a lot longer. My mother say eggs last for months and rarely go old..

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Focus_On_Shell_Eggs/index.asp

In England supermarket eggs are not kept in the 'fridge and the sell-by date is usually 2 or 3 weeks after they are placed on the shelf.

At home my eggs keep for at least a month in the 'fridge,

Sandie

I have never had an egg go bad. I'm guessing that you'd have to let it go for a really, REALLY long time for that to happen.

An unwashed egg in the refrigerator will last 6 months or more. easily. When you wash them however the cuticle is gone & they lose water faster - doesn't make them go bad any quicker - just kind of dry's them up.

Mother earth news had a big article last year on how to preserve eggs & found just putting them in the fridge keeps them longer than any of the old techinques.

You can easily tell by placing the egg in a clear container of water. If it stays on its side it is still fresh. An egg that stands up tall is stale and if it floats it is bad. I read that an egg will go stale if left out for 24 hours. Fresh eggs are good for up to 4/5 weeks refridgerated. I wouldn't risk eating any eggs that were left out. Also make sure the pointed side of the egg is down. This will help keep them fresher. Hope this helps you.

We've kept them in the refrig for 6 months or longer with no problem. In the "good old days" they used to either leave them in a bowl on the table or hanging in a basket for a week or longer. That's assuming you don't wash them. My wife will only wash eggs she wants to use for boiling, she claims they will be easier to free from the shell after washing and sitting for a week. Remember in nature the hen can only lay one egg a day so she needs a couple of weeks to get a full clutch to hatch--it would be assumed the older eggs were still as good as the newer ones.

Back
Top Bottom