Blue Barred Cochin?

shelleyb1969

Star Bright Farm
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Brown City, Michigan (Thumb)
This is a pic of a bantam Cochin chick that I hatched out from my own flock of birds. I have NO barred Cochins whatsoever (and never have), so I'm clueless as to where this came from.
idunno.gif
Maybe the breeder that I bought my hatching eggs from wasn't totally forthcoming with details of his stock?
hu.gif
Also, what is my best bet as far as breeding to continue and improve this color pattern? Should I breed him to barred or blue?
pop.gif

13587_hpim0460.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with breeding to barred....otherwise you will/may lose the pattern. His barring should improve greatly with age, but will still needs lots of work of course. He looks simliar to my Blue Barred Rock boy around that age, and his barring is much better now. I had planned on working on blue barred cochins as I have blue roos and barred hens....just haven't gotten around to it. Feel free to ship his butt here
wink.png

You didnt say what he hatched from. A blue bird? I think probably what happened was the breeder bred him to a barred cochin to improve type, and this shows up every once in awhile
big_smile.png

Do you or the breeder have White Cochins ? Whites cold be masking barring and if you breed a Blue or Splash to them you could get blue barred birds.

Quote:
He probably came out of the barred x blue. I have a gorgeous blue barred hen. Just breed him to barred and you will get both black barred and blue barred offspring.

Back
Top Bottom