Blue Barred Cochin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyb1969, Jul 24, 2010.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

This is a pic of a bantam Cochin chick that I hatched out from my own flock of birds. I have NO barred Cochins whatsoever (and never have), so I'm clueless as to where this came from. [​IMG] Maybe the breeder that I bought my hatching eggs from wasn't totally forthcoming with details of his stock? [​IMG] Also, what is my best bet as far as breeding to continue and improve this color pattern? Should I breed him to barred or blue? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

To darken the barring I would mate him with black barred hens and select the best barred chicks and continue to keep black barred in with the blue.

Did he come from white birds?

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I agree with breeding to barred....otherwise you will/may lose the pattern. His barring should improve greatly with age, but will still needs lots of work of course. He looks simliar to my Blue Barred Rock boy around that age, and his barring is much better now. I had planned on working on blue barred cochins as I have blue roos and barred hens....just haven't gotten around to it. Feel free to ship his butt here [​IMG]

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    You didnt say what he hatched from. A blue bird? I think probably what happened was the breeder bred him to a barred cochin to improve type, and this shows up every once in awhile [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Do you or the breeder have White Cochins ? Whites cold be masking barring and if you breed a Blue or Splash to them you could get blue barred birds.

6. shelleyb1969

I don't have white Cochins, but the breeder I hatched my breeder birds from has white frizzle, barred frizzle, and blue (both smooth and frizzle).

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:He probably came out of the barred x blue. I have a gorgeous blue barred hen. Just breed him to barred and you will get both black barred and blue barred offspring.

8. shelleyb1969

I don't have any barred birds...guess I'll start searching for those hatching eggs now. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He's a cutie! I love blue barred birds like my BR/Ameraucana, Riley.

10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    have a closer look at your columbian hen hackle....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by