BLRW/Light Brahma - pullets or roos? 9.5 weeks old.

featherz

Veggie Chick
13 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Saratoga County, NY
Rehomed an almost all roo hatch about a month ago, but kept these on just in case any turned out to be girls since they were on the fence. I'll rehome the roos all at once when I am positive. They are all a bit under 10 weeks old.

The two brahma's have pretty much no pink in the comb, the two wyandottes are a little pink, but I know with my SLW that wyandottes pink up early. Don't go by the stance in these pics - they were all jumping for my camera strap which was wobbling around..
smile.png
smile.png

These are probably poor quality reps of whatever breed - The lady I got the eggs from had only hatchery quality birds and who knows if there was any interbreeding going on! But I don't show birds, so it's ok with me.

Brahmas:

51848_p1010179.jpg

51848_p1010170.jpg

BLRW:

51848_p1010178.jpg

51848_p1010182.jpg

51848_p1010176.jpg

#2 (darker) - would this be blue also or a different color?
51848_p1010174.jpg

51848_p1010173.jpg

Never mind the cochin in the pics, I know he's a roo!
smile.png

Last edited:
The #2 brahma and the #2 BLRW are both girls. I don't want to venture a guess on the other two. I think the BLRW may be a cross of BLRW and Blue or something like that- the lacing is really off. I'd just keep her as a layer, not a breeder.

No worries, not planning on making any chickie babies myself! Just for eggs. The person I got the eggs from had separate pens but there were roos wandering around everywhere so I can't even guess what got into where!!
smile.png
That's what I get for buying cheap local hatching eggs.

Here's another pic of #1 brahma. I *think* these two are pullets unless there's something in this breed that makes them pink up late - neither has much if any pink in the comb and are very close in comb and feathering. I'll guess I'll wait and see on BLRW #1
smile.png
. 'it' has extremely scrawny legs so even with the pink comb and wattles I'll keep hoping pullet until I hear that cockadoodle doo.
tongue.png

51848_p1010172.jpg

Last edited:
Likely both Brahmas are pullets. With my birds I go more by the rate of feathering on the shoulders and stance as a early indicator of gender. The cockerels generally have the bare shoulders and a more upright stance. But that depends on if your birds carry the slow feathering gene.

If your girls leggs are on the skinny side for the Wyandottes then they are pullets. I have 5 week olds and the boys have thicker legs then the girls. Most of the 4 boys have shorter tails (only one has a bit more in the tail). Here is some pics of one of my boys.

69377_11-21-2010_rooster_chic.jpg
69377_11-21-2010_rooster.jpg

Back
Top Bottom