Please help diagnose - pictures

Dave Z

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 29, 2009
My BO of unknown age (got her as an adult, she got broody this spring and hasn't laid since. I've had her 2 years) has some kind of problem. I first noticed it because she wasn't breathing well. I saw she had a lot of mucous in her beak, and when I looked, I found this:

32774_p1000536.jpg

It's swollen to the point that she can't close her beak all the way:

32774_p1000538.jpg

There's also a dark growth on her beak. It's kinda lumpy. I thought it was dried mucous, but I've tried wetting it to soften it up, hoping it would wipe off, but it seems pretty hard. I no longer think it's dried mucous. Don't know what it is, but it's almost covering her left nostril.

32774_p1000543.jpg

She acts pretty normal - alert and active, but breathing is labored. When she exhales, the tissue in front of her eyes bulge out and her neck gets puffy, then something gives and the breath comes out.

She seems hungry, but has trouble eating, so I've been helping out (see below). I think she must be drinking OK, because she has been pumping out a lot of mucous for at least a week now. Still, I've been trying to get water in her with an eyedropper. She is not very cooperative.

Treatment so far:

Looking at the respiratory problem and mucous secretions, I found a post by threehorses recommending VetRx and vitamin supplements, so I made a mixture of mash, yogurt, egg and vitamins and putting pellets of that in her beak. She swallows it right down. Then I put the VetRx (diluted) on her nostrils, by her eyes and on the lump in her beak. I've also been spreading it on her chest and shoulders. Doesn't seem to be having much of an effect.

Any ideas? I'd hate to lose her, she's a sweetheart, but I don't have a lot of hope at this point.

Looks like it may be Fowl Pox. Not sure of treatment as I havent (knock on wood) had this problem. I know there are threads here about it. Search Fowl Pox and see. There are 2 different kind. Wet and dry yours looks like the wet kind.

To me it looks like she has an abscess on the roof of her mouth of some sort. I'd take something and see if any things comes off, or press on it and see if it is a ball of hard puss, as chickens do not get soft puss like humans do. I'd also try to open her closed nostril and see if any puss comes out also with gentle pressure. I'd also give her a shot of Tylan 50 for good measure....

Last edited:
Maybe canker? I haven't had that or fowl pox here yet, but the pics I've seen of wet pox always seem to look more yellow and not black.

She seems to be doing OK. Less mucous, but the swelling hasn't changed. She is eating on her own, but I'm not sure how much so I'm still stuffing her with a probiotic mash at least once a day. I pull on her wattles, her beak opens, I insert a pellet and she swallows it eagerly.

I do think it's canker. She has a few small spots on her comb and wattles, but not like the pictures I've seen of pox. Anyway, I'm going to start treating with fish zole tomorrow, along with some copper sulfate in the water. The comments and instructions I've seen specify grams, milliliters and liters. I have some bluestone crystals, but I'd feel more comfortable with instructions like 1/2 teaspoon to a gallon, or something like that. Anyone good at conversions?

I'm using plain yogurt and vitamins with crushed lay pellets to make a mash but she doesn't seem to like it. However, one day I offered the flock some black cherry yogurt and they LOVED it. What's the downside to using a fruit yogurt?

Back
Top Bottom