Respiratory Symptoms - Hoping for Advice!

goldiehenandcompany

In the Brooder
May 27, 2023
Hi there, I’m hoping for some advice. My 1 year old hen (backyard mutt) had some symptoms pop up in the past ~36 hours. Loud/strange vocalizations (crowing/sneezing/hinking?), congested/raspy breathing sounds especially when eating, and a droopy comb. Today I am seeing her open her beak at times, and overall I think it has been worsening. I have her separated in a dog crate right now, and she’ll be quick and then all of the sudden make very loud sounds that are almost like a rooster crowing.

She just had runny poop. Just now I noticed a bloody spot on her friend’s wing; it is pink-tinged and not frank blood, so my first thought was maybe she shook her head and this came from her nostril/mouth. I have not seen any more of this but am monitoring. She has been eating/drinking/laying/active.

I live in Oregon, weather has been recently mild.

Any suggestions for things to try? I have Poultry Cell, Rooster Booster, VetRx, and Tylan powder, and Corid on hand. I applied VetRx already for supportive care. I was recommended to use Oxine in a humidifier, but it will not arrive until Tuesday.

Thanks in advance! I’m worried about her.

Attachments

• IMG_8960.jpeg
    IMG_8960.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
How is she doing now?

Have you looked inside her beak for any obstruction, mucous or canker?

The noise especially when eating, she may be inhaling some food into her trachea. Try offering wet feed to see if that helps.

Have you dewormed recently?
Is her crop emptying overnight?

How is she doing now?

Have you looked inside her beak for any obstruction, mucous or canker?

The noise especially when eating, she may be inhaling some food into her trachea. Try offering wet feed to see if that helps.

Have you dewormed recently?
Is her crop emptying overnight?
Thanks so much for the reply!

I think she may be out of the woods; two nights ago I thought she was going to pass it was so bad. She was open mouth breathing and really struggling. We went to the vet on emergency earlier that day. He agreed she has a lower respiratory issue (bacterial vs viral unknown). Raspy breathing, lots of sneezing, bloody phlegm coughed up occasionally. Nothing visible in her mouth/throat, crop normal, no signs of parasites. She is on antibiotics now, still eating a bit and drinking and even laid an egg yesterday.

We are keeping her separated, monitoring closely. The symptoms seem to be relatable to ILT, which I’m really hoping it isn’t! I asked about PCR test availability but haven’t heard back yet.

Thanks so much for the reply!

I think she may be out of the woods; two nights ago I thought she was going to pass it was so bad. She was open mouth breathing and really struggling. We went to the vet on emergency earlier that day. He agreed she has a lower respiratory issue (bacterial vs viral unknown). Raspy breathing, lots of sneezing, bloody phlegm coughed up occasionally. Nothing visible in her mouth/throat, crop normal, no signs of parasites. She is on antibiotics now, still eating a bit and drinking and even laid an egg yesterday.

We are keeping her separated, monitoring closely. The symptoms seem to be relatable to ILT, which I’m really hoping it isn’t! I asked about PCR test availability but haven’t heard back yet.
I'm glad you were able to see the vet. Hopefully the medication will make a difference.

Please let us know if you find out about the testing and keep us posted on how she's getting along.

Back
Top Bottom