Raspy Breathing Old Hen

Rachelsannerud

Chirping
Feb 16, 2022
Hi all!
I've got a hen, close to 4 years old, that's been breathing raspy for a little over a week. She holds her beak open slightly while breathing. We brought her into our laundry room to isolate from the flock. Administered Vetrx + gave safeguard in case it was gapeworm. No other symptoms, not lethargic, appetite is regular, no weeping or foam around her eyes- she gives me a hard time anytime I fuss with her. The coop was a bit dusty (it's winter in Minnesota, so we hadn't cleaned since fall, but I had my husband give it a good clean once we noticed the raspy hen), and we use straw and pine shavings. No other hens are showing symptoms of distress or disease.
She's got raspy breathing, and sneezes while drinking water. Makes a very loud gasping scream about once a day that convinces me she's kicked the bucket, but then when I go to check on her she her usual raspy self.
I'm a bit stumped on what she has going on. My gut says she has something stuck in her throat? Any time we've had a hen with respiratory illness they've had more symptoms than this. Any of your thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

How does her crop feel? The best time to check it is early morning before they eat or drink when it should normally be empty. If her crop is full and puffy soft, it may not be emptying well, and crop contents can come back up into the throat causing rattles and gurgles. Touching her crop then could cause her to spit up or choke. What do you feed her? Does she lay eggs anymore? I’m sure that it is very cold there now, and you may want to keep her in the coop if possible, but separate her if she is picked on. Or keep her in a cool area of your house, so that she can go back out when she is better.

How does her crop feel? The best time to check it is early morning before they eat or drink when it should normally be empty. If her crop is full and puffy soft, it may not be emptying well, and crop contents can come back up into the throat causing rattles and gurgles. Touching her crop then could cause her to spit up or choke. What do you feed her? Does she lay eggs anymore? I’m sure that it is very cold there now, and you may want to keep her in the coop if possible, but separate her if she is picked on. Or keep her in a cool area of your house, so that she can go back out when she is better.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I checked her crop awhile back, when we first separated her, and I thought it was emptying normally, but I'll check again tomorrow morning.
She receives egg mash feed and occasional mixed grain (corn/oats/sunflower seeds). She does not lay eggs anymore. She's currently separate from our other hens, residing in the coolest area of our house, the laundry room.

Back
Top Bottom