NPIP certification

slaird61

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
My state vet is coming out to my house on Tuesday to test all of my chickens so they can be NPIP certified. I am a little nervous about this because I hope none of them have Pullerium (spelling?). The vet says it's rare for one to test positive but still...
hide.gif
How many of you have had your flock NPIP certified? Did you have any problems? Also, if I buy any other birds that come from a NPIP certified producer will they still be NPIP certifed when I add them to my flock? I'm getting 15 new chicks from Ideal in February and I'm wondering if that will have any affect on my birds' NPIP certification. I hope that makes sense.

I got tested last May. No problems here. The test was easy. Before the tester came I had all the birds put up into cages, that way after they were tested I just put them back into the coops. It goes faster if you have a second person bringing the birds to you, and taking the tested ones and putting them back in the coop. Once you are NPIP you can only purchase chicks/birds/hatching eggs from other NPIP breeders and you need to get either a vs 9-3 form, a copy of their certificate or their number. Ideal is NPIP so you will be fine there.

Great! That's what I was wondering. Now I just have to decide how I'm going to catch my big roosters. I think I'll get them off their roost the night before and put them in cages. That should make things easier.
smile.png

It was easy, they didn't have to test all of my birds, just a certain percent and they wanted a variety of the breeds.
You'll do fine!

My chickens were tested for NPIP certification this morning and all were negative! It went very smoothly and was very easy. Now I can relax.
woot.gif

Quote:
maybe i am wrong on this but, from my understanding of buying chicks or any poultry...((for wisconsin)) is the NPIP cert. is null and void once they enter your property. meaning your flock is tested, and certififed..when you buy other birds that cert. was only good for the farm they came from. in order to include the new ones as being NPIP cert they have to be retested, chicks of course have to wait to age of 4 months to be tested.

soap&eggs :

Quote:
maybe i am wrong on this but, from my understanding of buying chicks or any poultry...((for wisconsin)) is the NPIP cert. is null and void once they enter your property. meaning your flock is tested, and certififed..when you buy other birds that cert. was only good for the farm they came from. in order to include the new ones as being NPIP cert they have to be retested, chicks of course have to wait to age of 4 months to be tested.

If you are NPIP Certified, you can only purchase stock (eggs/birds) from other breeders that are also NPIP certified. If you purchase from a non-npip breeder, your certification is void.​

Back
Top Bottom