***Hatching time!***To be continued....lots of photos!!!*UPDATE*

awesomefowl

Argues with Goats
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
raxacoricofallapatorious
My hatch date was yesterday, the 24th. I am VERY excited about this hatch for mainly two reasons: a) I've never gotten more than two eggs to hatch before and b) These eggs are from my own Silkies and Leghorn!!!
I put the incubator in my room this time, because before I had it downstairs and the temperature would fluctuate over the lethal temperature. In my room, it didn't go over about 99.7 degrees.

1st pip!!! "Silkhorn" egg.
59664_feb24hatch_001.jpg

Here is the first chick that hatched, all dry; this is the Silkhorn. I took him/HER
fl.gif
out because he/SHE
fl.gif
was dry and was jiggling the other eggs too much! This little chick hatched at about 2:30 AM eastern time!
jumpy.gif
He has the cutest little beard!
59664_feb24hatch_004.jpg

59664_feb24hatch_006.jpg

59664_feb24hatch_003.jpg

How neat, CHICKEN FEET!
tongue.png
jumpy.gif

59664_feb24hatch_007.jpg

The 2nd one to pip, this is one of the purebred Silkie eggs from my Partridge hen, sired by my Partridge rooster (we hope, or a splash rooster) Sorry, bad photos.
59664_feb24hatch_008.jpg

You can see its little beak, but it isn't really doing much, except opening and closing its beak. I tried to "help" it (don't yell at me!!!) because I thought it was dead. No, isn't bleeding!!! It isn't dead, but is very slow. Opening the incubator to remove chickie #1 probably didn't help matters much either....
roll.png
fl.gif

The other two Silkie eggs have pipped but are taking their time about it.
fl.gif
I can hear them peeping faintly!
59664_feb24hatch_009.jpg

EDIT: I'll post more photos once the other chicks hatch!
jumpy.gif

Thanks for looking! Who else hatched yesterday?

Last edited:
Well, chick #2 died. He bled and was too weak to make it. Poor little guy.
That makes three chicks: two Partridge Silkies, and one absolutely adorable Silkhorn. The Silkhorn (love that contraction! so fun to say!) is named Poppy by my little sister, and the Silkies, who both look alike and are still drying, are Cayenne (to be renamed Cayenna if it is a pullet) and Cinnamon Bun or Bunny, since these chicks are the son of my rooster who is named Cinnamon. The Silkie's mom is Nutmeg.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Good hatch, everychick!

I will post photos as soon as they dry!

Cinnamon Bun's stripes.
59664_chicks_010.jpg

Cinnamon Bun, again!
59664_chicks_013.jpg

His/HER feet: five toes!
59664_chicks_012.jpg

Cinnamon Bun's sibling, Cayenne:
59664_chicks_014.jpg

The only way to tell the two apart is that Cayenne is slightly fluffier than CB.
59664_chicks_014.jpg

Cayenne:
59664_chicks_016.jpg

All three under the heat lamp:
59664_chicks_017.jpg

Thats it for now.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom