UPDATE: First Shipped Eggs? What to do now? DAY 5

ItsAZOO32

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Titusville, Fl.
Hi there everyone! I have one hatch under my belt so I've decided to brave it and buy some shipped eggs.
wink.png

I have a few dozen coming in from different places and was wondering.. what do I do when I get them?? I have heard different stories from refrigerating them to letting them set at room temperature for a day... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
First, unpack them.
smile.png

If you want to set them at room temperature for a few hours of "resting" time, you can, but I don't really use a waiting period between unpacking my shipped eggs and getting them in the incubator. You really don't want to wait too since you don't know exactly how long it has been between time of lay and your receipt of them.

One thing I would not do is refrigerate hatching eggs.

Some of my best hatch rates are still from those as a newbie using shipped eggs.
wink.png

Quote:
lau.gif

That's funny
smile.png

Ok.. I will let them sit for a little bit before setting. What if they come on different days? I am expecting one batch tomorrow, one Friday and one Saturday/Sunday. Just do a staggered hatch?

Again, thanks for the help.. this is only my second attempt.
smile.png

I just got my shipped eggs today and i was wondering the same thing.Now if I let them rest should I turn them too.Cant wait I bought lavender orps.
smile.png
smile.png

If you were sure they are coming that close together, I guess you could wait and set them all together. When I started using a separate hatching incubator, I started staggering my hatches. Now I'm starting eggs all the time in a cabinet incubator and moving them to foam incubators for hatching.
big_smile.png

I would wait and hold the first set until the final set arrive. Then place all in bator together so you can do a single hatch count down. Letting the, rest can help with air cells according to info given to me in the past. The set I have going right now I did not rest, all but two are going strong so far and set to hatch for Easter.

When I get them, I let them come to room temp. (If they are already warm, like if I get eggs during the summer, they get put straight in the incubator.) Once they come to room temp, I put them into the incubator, BUT I keep the turner unplugged for the first 2-3 days to give them extra time to rest. Works great for me.
smile.png

Quote:
Ok, so you don't start turning right away? I hand-turned my first batch but I'm using the turner this time (HOPEFULLY.. if my new motor gets here soon). I started turning on day ONE with my first hatch of fresh eggs (not delivered). Got a 25/30 hatch that way.. even with some temp issues. Don't want to screw these ordered eggs up
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom