Oh NOOOOO! Round worms!!

1livelychick

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
Last night I had started closing everyone in for the night when one of my Marans had a round worm just hanging there..you know where...Gackkkkk!
barnie.gif
sickbyc.gif

I had used the wazine for the recommended treatment in Jan. first treament then another ten days later...whole lot of eggs were thrown away which is always a bummer.
rant.gif
somad.gif

I reviewed all the recommendations....does that mean I have to wazine again then do the eprinex?
idunno.gif
I just bought the eprinex a couple of weeks ago. I understand about dead worm overload and also know a fecal float would be beneficial.....just don't know what to do. I hate withholding the eggs again if it's as simple as doing the eprinex but certainly donot want to compromise my birds safety.
Also, is there something that I can spray in the run....they were in there all winter and just now have an alloted amount of time to freerange but have times of containment in the run. It's a large run..40' x 40'. Can I use a garden sprayer with a pesticide specifically for parasites? Sure could and appreciated any advise. Thanks in advance:clap

Quote:
Yes. Tried that bought the Food grade DE with the herbs in it last year...I still had to do the wazine...thanks but for some reason that really didn't seem to help.
My two big questions are ...Can I just go with the eprinex and what can I spray in the run that will destroy the eggs if there is such a thing.
Thanks again!

Quote:
Yes. Tried that bought the Food grade DE with the herbs in it last year...I still had to do the wazine...thanks but for some reason that really didn't seem to help.
My two big questions are ...Can I just go with the eprinex and what can I spray in the run that will destroy the eggs if there is such a thing.
Thanks again!

More proof that DE does not kill worms.
You can use eprinex, redose in 10 days with it. It would be useless to spray your run. Worm oocysts are in the soil everywhere. The best thing you can do is put sand inside your run to help keep it dry. The dryer, the better. When it rains, the sand will absorb the water and dry out quicker. It also helps keep down the fly population. Also, clean out the inside of your chicken house on a regular basis. I clean mine out once a week. It's best to start a regular worming program, perhaps 3 times a year in your case. I worm my chickens quarterly. Be sure to rotate wormers to prevent worm resistance to one particular wormer. Consider purchasing valbazen (albendazole) and safeguard (fenbendazole) and use them in conjunction with eprinex.

Quote:
Thanks again!

You can use eprinex, redose in 10 days with it. It would be useless to spray your run. Worm oocysts are in the soil everywhere. The best thing you can do is put sand inside your run to help keep it dry. The dryer, the better. When it rains, the sand will absorb the water and dry out quicker. It also helps keep down the fly population. Also, clean out the inside of your chicken house on a regular basis. I clean mine out once a week. It's best to start a regular worming program, perhaps 3 times a year in your case. I worm my chickens quarterly. Be sure to rotate wormers to prevent worm resistance to one particular wormer. Consider purchasing valbazen (albendazole) and safeguard (fenbendazole) and use them in conjunction with eprinex.

Thanks, Dawg. So, I won't have to deworm with the wazine first? I was worried that the worm load would be detrimentalto my kids with feathers.
I have goats so I've got the safeguard goat formula. How much do I give to them (the chickens)? I also have the valbazen. It came with instructions for deworming the chickens. Everything has an egg withdrawal other than the eprinex..right? Do you mind gving me an idea of what would be the best rotation?
I'm on top of the cleanliness and take very good care of my chickens. They are allowed out to freerange in a nice grassy area daily..just control the times...the run is actually bigger than I thought...I use the dog kennel panels..I've been wanting to do the sand..it's just so darn expensive!!!! Thanks again for all the support from everyone!

Quote:

Thanks, Dawg. So, I won't have to deworm with the wazine first? I was worried that the worm load would be detrimentalto my kids with feathers.
I have goats so I've got the safeguard goat formula. How much do I give to them (the chickens)? I also have the valbazen. It came with instructions for deworming the chickens. Everything has an egg withdrawal other than the eprinex..right? Do you mind gving me an idea of what would be the best rotation?
I'm on top of the cleanliness and take very good care of my chickens. They are allowed out to freerange in a nice grassy area daily..just control the times...the run is actually bigger than I thought...I use the dog kennel panels..I've been wanting to do the sand..it's just so darn expensive!!!! Thanks again for all the support from everyone!

Here sand costs $25 a cubic yard. My truck can hold 1.5 yard. (extended cab, shorter bed.) Wazine only kills large roundworms. Valbazen wont cause toxicity from worm overload. It slowly kills worms over 2-3 days period. So, use valbazen first as I do; dosage is given orally...1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1//4cc to smaller chickens. Follow up in 10 days with safeguard liquid goat wormer...dosage is given orally; for giants 1cc...for large birds 3/4cc...standard size 1/2cc... small 1/4cc. There will be a grand total of 24 days withdrawal used in this combination.
I recommend you start out with valbazen each time you worm. My understanding is that there is no worm resistance to it as far as chickens are concerned. Then you can dose with eprinex 10 days later. Besides, with valbazen, it kills all known worms that chickens get.

Good morning and Thanks, Dawg. I'll get on it today. I priced a load of sand last fall it was something like 600.00 for a 18 tandem load. It's not a natural resource here so It has to be shipped into north Ga so we pay additional. I had sand at another location and the chickens really liked it. They would just plop down and start dusting. plus I believe there is an antimicrobial property to sand. Hav e a good day!

Back
Top Bottom