Oh NOOOOO! Round worms!!

Quote:
THanks for the website. I'll check it out. SO you use this in conjunction with chemical wormers?

Quote:
Sorry soooo many questions. How do you dose a chicken with the herbal wormer? If you mix it in the feed, how do you know they are getting enough? Do you do random checks, fecal floats? I'm thinking would it be best to chemical deworm as Dawg suggested then herbal deworm otherwise.
Love my chickens but man is there alot of work or what??????
When I lived in Mi there didn't seem to be all these issues! However, I sure don't miss the snow!!!

If you are worried they are not getting enough of it in the feed, you can mix it with water and dose it orally. It's time consuming (you'll have to do it every week), but you'll know they got enough. I haven't done fecals on the chickens, but I have for the goats. I also mix it in with their feed. Since it's powdery, I have mixed the herbs with honey and molasses to make clumps of it so I know the goats are getting enough. The chickens *may* eat it that way, too, if you break it into small pieces.

Questions are good. No worries.
smile.png

DE does work, but it does not work over night. You need to use it consistently over a period of weeks. It is not harmful (toxic!) like chemical wormers. Also it contains many beneficial minerals that are lacking in our soil. You can't just feed DE for a couple of days and expect it to work.

Quote:
I used to purchase the de/herbal remedy that you mix in their feed, last year. It was fed to them daily. I also rotate plain ole fresh water, Braggs vinegar and the vit and minerals so I think they get all the minerals. I noticed in Jan. the chickies just seemed to be off...their color wasn't as bright...I take excellent care of my girls and roos, so it wasn't hygiene. One of my friends suggested Wazine. Egg production went up after the treatment. So I figured they had round worms , followed by another dose ...man it was hard trowing all those eggs away!
So, I am not convinced on the DE..maybe it works for you. I even tried the DE for Dusting and in their dusting box and had a terrible outbreak of Mites! YIKES!!! I went back to the standard practice of dusting every couple of weeks and it seems to have worked..I also invested in the poultry protector product. I don't know..
idunno.gif
maybe it depends on the region where you live.....really seems like there is more yuckie stuff happening here in the south with parasites......On a postive note...I love the eggs and my wonderful chickens! I enjoy sharing my eggs with family and friends. You can't buy a product like that in your local grocery store!
yippiechickie.gif
:yiipchick
jumpy.gif
Thanks again for the input!
thumbsup.gif

Wizine and Peprazine are both very cheap, very easy to get and very easy to just put in their water for 24 hours and then clean the water bowl.. poof your done. Its not as bad as it looks

Quote:
Wazine/piperazine only gets rid of large roundworms. When mixing wormers in water, you dont know how much the chickens have drank to be effective. Additionally they dont drink as much in cooler weather. It's best to use a broad spectrum wormer such as using valbazen to get rid of all types of worms and dose orally each chicken one by one, that way you know they were properly wormed without guessing. It is very easy to dose orally using a syringe without a needle.

Back
Top Bottom