How many eggs does a turkey hen produce in a season?

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I've seen a range of numbers usually 35-60 eggs in a season. Do different breeds of turkeys produce more than others? If so which tend to make a lot of eggs and which has the fewest????

Thanks for your input!

It depends on the breed and where you live. In mild climate the turkeys could lay nearly year around. Some breeds like the Miget Whites are known for early laying but most average 60 to 80 eggs a year. Many of breeds are known to lay 90-120 eggs a year. I think in my mild climate and the right food I am getting about 180 eggs a year on average. The biggest problem for me is breaking up the broody hens. If I can do that, they will keep laying.

Last edited:
Quote:
They would be like most heritage breeds. They start laying a little later in the year than the smaller breeds. Thats a good thing for most people. Early in the year most turkeys eggs will not be feritle even with the males breeding. The same happens to some people late in the fall if the turkeys are still laying. Eggs will also be damaged from heat and cold if they are not collected right away. For me even with a mild climate I only have a small window when my turkeys will successfully hatch thier own.

my standard bronze usually lay from late march or early april to late september and laying quite consistently during those months, probably 100-150 eggs per year. thats if they are raised properly. and they require high protein food for good egg production, in my experience

Quote:
i know several people who raise eastern wilds and they lay pretty good for them. they start in spring and end in late summer, almost fall. maybe 80-100 eggs per year if you collect their eggs and don't allow them to hatch them

Quote:
i know several people who raise eastern wilds and they lay pretty good for them. they start in spring and end in late summer, almost fall. maybe 80-100 eggs per year if you collect their eggs and don't allow them to hatch them

is that per flock(if so how many), or is it just 1?

Back
Top Bottom