Horse, goat and chickens together? (video added)

Wildsky

Wild Egg!
12 Years
Oct 13, 2007
California
One of my reasons for chickens was for them to eat bugs, flies all the nasty little insects.....

Well the insects are HERE. As of right now, my horse and goat live together, and the chickens are next door. THe chickens can't do the best job, without getting into the horse pasture and barn area.

Please tell me about your experience with this.

I took three big girls into the pasture area this evening, and they went to TOWN on the bugs in the dirt, one girl was catching flies in the air....... I want them to have access ALL day, but I'm worried the chickens will get hurt by accident. The horse and goat couldn't care less that the chickens are around - but how fast will the chickens move if the horse gets a fright and runs???

Last edited:
I think the chickens would be fine. Never tried it before, but if I, or one of my kids or my dog ran at them, they would get out of the way in a hurry!
smile.png

My grandfather always kept chickens around to help with the bugs and I do not remember any getting hurt by the other animals, he did say that the hawks think twice before attacking a chicken that has a 2 ton friend nearby.

My chickens live in harmony with my horses. Not one problem. I even seem to think that tit helps the horses not be so jumpy--b/c they get used to the chickens. I plan very soon(nest week) tho add a goat to the mix, and I don't anticipate any problems.

Don't have goats. But do have horses, cows, mini donkey ( that needs a new home FREE) and a llama plus the chickens. All of them do very well together. As soon as I open the coop door the fluffy butts run to the corral to check out todays bug buffett

How big is the mini donkey, could we pass it off as a large dog? I live in a city and we are not allowed to have roosters so I told them that we have 4 RIR, 2 EE, and one cockeral and they bought it hook, line, and sinker

My ducks and geese live with the donkeys (as of today!) and no problems so far. My dogs are not trustworthy though, no dogs allowed in back pasture.

I got a video of my fly eating chicken! THe one BO is ALL over them like a bad rash... and the four babies were getting in on the action - all the other chickens were digging for worms under the fruit trees.....

She was outside the horse pasture, but RIGHT next to the poop cart - hence all the flies. The babies are going on 10 weeks old, 3 Arucana and 1 Easter Egger.

I once had a rooster to be killed by my horse in a freak accident. The horse was running and the rooster crossed his path and hit the horse's hoof. It was kinda like the video game Frogger and the frog lost.

Back
Top Bottom