Helping Egg Along-

tiffanyh

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Connecticut
I have an egg that is quite late --(long story that involves low temps and a bad incubator)- anyway, there is still significant movement by the egg. It is on day 26 now. I have read about making a whole in the air cell part of the egg to ensure the chick doesnt run out of air supplied by the air cell. Is this something I should be considering doing seeing how late this chick is??

I could really use some advice on this, after all this, I really want this chick to survive, or at least give it the best chance possible!

Last edited:
I have helped and left in the past and think it's a no win situation most of the time. Personally after 26 days I would give it a hand; start at the air sac but be careful to avoid any blood vessels. Once it's out if it's still alive give it lots of attention; warmth and gentle rubs, drops of water. Ones I've done this to seem to survive better than healthier looking ones that are just left to recover. I have also left full term chicks which didn't hatch and died in the shell, appearing to have had too little room to move their heads and get past the pipping stage. What ever you do I'm afraid it'll be a big guilt trip!
Good luck what ever you decide,
Fenella.

Thank you,
I was thinking that I would feel worse if I didnt do something because I think it may be in a bad position to pip or something. I was going to strat by just peircing the air cell and going from there.

Any more advice, ecspecially by anyone who has done this, would be so very appreciated!

There is still movement in the eggs, but it is not a vigorous as it was yesterday....

UPDATE--okay. I researched a little bit, apparently parrot owners assist with the hatch quite a bit so I found some info on it. I used a sterile needle to open the egg in the air cell (after candling) and I was able to see comfortably inside.

Here is what I see--at DAY 26- I see a black and white chick who has not yet pipped through the internal membrane and I can see that there is still a yolk sac and quite a bit of veins. According to my research, this means the chick is not ready....so, back in the bator it goes. (I sealed the hole as recommended). So on Day 26 it is not yet ready....I realize that my temps were to low for a good portion of incubation, but I wonder how long it can go until it is "ready". It is an active little chick in there.

I would really appreciate some responses, I need to see what some experienced hatchers think. Thanks everyone! I know the outlook in grim, but what do you all think??

First of all I'm not an experience hatcher...but
I have had to assist in a hatch when the hen abandoned the last two eggs after the others had hatched.
I put the cooled and uncertain eggs under a heatlamp on my desk and watched and waited knowing there was still sound and movement inside.
One came out on its own and the other had some difficulties. The timing of the sounds and chirps were getting weaker and I knew it needed assistance. Afterbreaking the shell the chick was able to get its beak outside and was breathing. This continued for over 24 hrs and then I started breaking the shell away very carefully over the next few hours keeping moisture always on the sac and shell with a warm damp sponge. It took a lot longer for the chick to regain its strength and i'm sure it would not have made it without some assistance. Once the chick was mostly free of the shell, it layed there looking really pathetic and sickly. I let it alone and kept it warm and cozy and eventually it finished its cycle with the yolk sac and dried up fluffy and normal. I also believe the chirps from the other chick encouraged it to survive. With each sound the other made, the struggling chick responded with more energy.

Only you can make the call to assist.

Good luck and best wishes

Back
Top Bottom