rectum protrusion in 3 day old chick ~ what should i do?

cheeriotwins

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
please help me help this little chick. she (and 5 others) just came home yesterday. all seemed fine until this morning, i noticed some blood on her bum. while wiping it off with a wet papertowel, i noticed that her rectum is protruding outside of her body. it's roundish, about the size of a small pea. she's acting fine i think...just like the rest of them, though she is preening the area. i believe that she is eating and drinking. i am going to isolate her so that i can see for sure if she's eating and if she's pooping.

has anyone ever dealt with this? how should i care for the area? thanks in advance for any advice!!!

11559_100_7378.jpg

Last edited:
I had that problem with one. My vet showed me how to take care of it. Wearing latex/medical gloves (super cheap) clean gently with warm water, apply lubricant (like KY) and gently push it back in. Keep her segregated for a while so you can keep an eye on her. It might not ever happen again but it might when she starts laying eggs.

it's the scent gland I think thats built up, if it looks like it gunna pop you do it, but not sure how? ask a vet, many animals get it(not enough wiping)

I did have chicks that didn't fully develope and some of their yolk sac hadn't absorbed. It was the most horrible experience in my life. The incubator was low or hot and the low heat ones never absorbed their yolk and had to do away with them.
The ones I thought would live made it 3 days and it solidified.

Quote:
I agree, I had this problem with my cat. It's called a prolapsed rectum. If you are able to lubricate it and gently push it back in it should be able to heal up. It will act like your killing it while you do it, but as soon as it goes back in the chick will be fine. I'd keep the chick separated from the others for a while in case it pops back out. They'll most likely peck at it making it worse.

I just read on your post where you tried pushing it back in and it didn't work. I'd keep the chick separated and see if it goes back in on it's own. If it doesn't by tomorrow, then try pushing it again. What worked for me is a circular movement around the edge of the protrusion pushing toward the center. Like wiping your finger around the lip of a glass.

Hmmmm.... that red blistery thing doesn't look right. It looks like its right next to her vent instead of actually being her vent, is it just the picture? I am going to try to look up a few more things for you.

I would say that it is a prolapse and it is her/his vent. You can try pushing it back in again, it may or may not work.

Clean her/him up real good with warm water, and doctor the area,(vent and around the vent), with PreparationH. Make sure it does not have pain reliever in it. I would keep her by herself and just watch her/him and see what happen's. Goodluck!!

Thanks Barnyard - I wasn't sure if I was seeing it correctly.

Cheeriotwins, I hope you are able to get it to go in. If she seems stressed out it might help to put her in a quiet, darker place. Let us know how things go please!

Back
Top Bottom