Idea for keeping chickens COOL in outrageous HEAT!! Update w/ PICTURE!

arwmommy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
California
OK, I have an idea I have been using for the last few weeks and figured it was time to share! I have bantam Cochins, so they are fully feathered to their toes and get VERY warm in high heat. In trying to figure out what to do to help them, I have pieced together a type of CHICKEN AIR CONDITIONER
tongue.png
that really has seemed to work for us!

Needed:

One (or more) trash cans (I had some left over kitchen trash cans that were square that worked great, but you could use even bigger ones! Lighter colored is better, plastic only (Metal would just cook them!))

Big "Blue Ice" or other refreezable icepacks for coolers (get a few of the big big ones per trash can)-- they are about $2-4 each.

Gallon sized ziploc bags (one for each icepack you bought)

Directions (it is very complicated, so pay attention!
lol.png
)

Place the icepacks in the freezer overnight (or until totally frozen)

Insert icepack into a ziploc. (This is so you can take them out of the ziploc and put a *clean* icepack back into your freezer. I am not interested in frozen chicken poop in my freezer!)

Place trash can on its side in the shade (if possible) of your coop. Place one or more icepacks into the back or sides of the back of the trash can. I will frequently put 2 into each can, and save 2 in the freezer to switch out midday.

This creates a kind of "air conditioned room" effect. They hang out IN the trashcan, snuggle against the OUTSIDE of the trashcan or just hang out by the opening to get a bit of a cool breeze.

At the end of the day, I go out and get all of the icepacks, removing them from the ziplocs (I use the same ziplocs every day and just close them and leave them in the empty trash can for the next day) and put in the freezer for the next day.

I feel like it has really made a difference for them, and I hope this idea helps others not lose birds because of heat!

Hope this works for you guys as well-- let me know! (As you can tell from the photos below it's very complicated--LOL-- I feel like a dork for not figuring it out earlier!) I put mine under the grapes where they usually hang out and dust bathe anyway...

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

Last edited:
What a wonderful idea!!!
clap.gif
It has been in the 100's here and my poor chickens have had a rough time. I am doing this tomorrow! They will be sooooo happy to have some relief from the horrible heat. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea!
smile.png

Alright, I updated with photos on the original post!

Hope this helps......I HATE HATE HATE to read all the posts lately talking about people loosing birds to the heat.

Ugh.

thank you so much for sharing. I feel so bad for the birds, they're doing the dog pant thing...and I don't think they regulate body temp that way, do they? my idea was to freeze a few little containers of water and place these ice pops throughout the run. that way they have fresh cool water in the morning and melting fresh water available throughout the day. the ice pop idea goes into effect tomorrow. I think i have some freezer packs too, so I'll try the garbage pail air conditioner too!

Back
Top Bottom