Idea for keeping chickens COOL in outrageous HEAT!! Update w/ PICTURE!

My girls are terrified of any water that isn't in their waterer! I too do cold/frozen fruit/veggies. I also bury frozen water bottles in zip lock bags in their hen house bedding since they insist on being in there mid day. If I leave the bottles in view, it's too scarey. Sometimes, if it's just too hot, I pin them under my arm and soak them with the hose. If you've heard the phrase "mad as a wet hen". . . chickens!!

wonderful idea
thumbsup.gif
while hubs friend was here yesterday and i was sweating profusely and cursing. he wandered over must be he got tired of waiting for me to walk over to him. the chickens were all panting in the pen but wouldnt go in the coop to the fresh ice water. He helped me carry out a few fans and some extension cords to give them a breeze.

i saw this when you originally posted and thought it was a great idea. I started using it during this weeks heatwave. Thanks for the idea.

DH gets ice packs by the galore with his diabetic supplies, so will start hanging onto them. We have several, but we also give away and throw away, because they add up and do take up space. . .smaller than what you have, but just need to add 4 instead of 2. Now, I just need the coop built and add chickens.

Such a good idea!! Excellent on reusing the ziplock! I'd been freezing water jugs and putting them in the coop but then I really don't want to put them back in the freezer. They all just curl right up with the jugs. So cute!!

Back
Top Bottom