My new chicks (Buff Orps and GL Wyandottes) - Finally Here!

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
I finally got my 11 new chicks: 5 Buff Orpington pullets, 5 Gold-Laced Wyandotte pullets and 1 Gold-Laced Wyandotte cockerel.

Here's a couple pics. First, the brooder (4x4x3):
10056_brooder-2008jun23__1.jpg

Their first few seconds in the brooder:
10056_chicks-first_day-2008jun24__3.jpg

It didn't take them long to figure out the feeder and waterer:
10056_chicks-first_day-2008jun24__6.jpg

And my beautiful wife, excited to be holding a little chickie:
10056_chicks-first_day-2008jun24__7.jpg

10056_chicks-first_day-2008jun24__12.jpg

All are doing well. They started eating and drinking right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cute! You must be proud of the chicks AND your lovely wife! One cautionary note though, be careful with the mason jar feeder. If they aren't really stable they can fall over on the chicks and kill them. We had that almost happen, luckily it was okay. I ended up replacing it with a small jelly-sized one. They get so much poop and shavings in there that you have to change it really often anyway.
smile.png

BearSwampChick wrote:
One cautionary note though, be careful with the mason jar feeder. If they aren't really stable they can fall over on the chicks and kill them.

BearSwampChick - I thought of that. I super-glued a 2 & 1/2-pound weight from a dumbbell to the bottom of the feeder. It will take a lot to tip it over.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, you can't see it under the paper towel flooring, but I have an identical 2 & 1/2-pound weight that the other one sits on top of. I thought that would make for even more stability, and raise the feeder and waterer up a bit higher. That way, when I take the paper towels off for good, there won't be as much wood shavings in the waterer and feeders. (I hope).

I'm just not sure how long I need the paper towel flooring layer. I haven't read how old they are when spraddle-leg isn't a problem anymore. I wouldn't think it would be too old.

Awwwww.... Yep, the ol' stand by the brooder staring hour. Your chicks are beautiful, including the one with earrings. Glad they made it healthy and safe.

Yep, the one with the earrings is a keeper. 'Cept, she thinks she rules the roost!

(Actually, I'm just smart enough to know that she does).
wink.png

Thanks, Buff! Can't wait to get home to check on them. My 3-year-old granddaughter (and best friend) is coming over tonight to see them.

Back
Top Bottom