Alaskan

The Frosted Flake
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
My Coop
My Coop
OK, I totally understand the sexing by voice..... (drakes are whispery and females loud)

But what about the feathers?

when do the males get their "male" colored feathers?

And when do males get the drake feather?

Are both seasonal, or are both age dependent?

And once they have the male coloring and the drake feather, do they keep them? OR does the drake feather only last 3 months and then fall out, no drake feather for 6 months, then they grow a new one?

I am asking about 'regular' ducks (as in from Mallards, I have Blue Swedish, Khaki Campbells, and one Runner), not Muscovies.

Quote:
I think my blue swedish drake didn't get his drake feathers until he was more than three months old. By then I already knew he was a drake by his voice, then the color of his head. My khaki campbells are around two months old and I can tell the drake by his voice and the fact he is slightly larger than the female. Hope that helps a little till someone with more duck experience sees this!

Young males cant quack, somewhere between 2-3 months if you grab one and it QUACKS its a female.
At about 3 months my khaki males began getting their drake feathers. They also have slightly different color bills.
I have one Blue suede, he is 4 months old and just started getting his drake feather a couple of weeks ago.
My mallards started getting their green heads at 3 months and I haven't seen any drake feathers yet at 4 months.

I don't know for sure if the drake feather stays even during a molt? Anyone?

The males squeak and make noises, but the females make the loud deep QUACK.

Dont know if you were imagining it or not. But have you been by Bear Creek Winery lately? That could have done it.

Quote:
tongue.gif
I was still pregnant when they were little!

But my first two glasses of wine after 9 months I felt totally drunk, so funny.

Back
Top Bottom