What's wrong with their feathers?

Jubaby

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
West Texas
I have two Splash Ameraucanas that are 18 weeks old. Their feathers are so strange, almost like fluffy silkie hair, not feathers. I don't know what you would call this. It's not like a frizzle. Has anyone else seen this on Ameraucanas?

Also I've thought the bigger one was a rooster, because it's had a red comb very early, but at 18 weeks it has never started crowing and likes to sit in the nest boxes alot. It really doesn't have any other characteristics of my Ameraucana rooster, so I'm starting to think maybe it is a hen after all. What do you think?

I feel stupid for asking, but I'm fairly new. My other Ameraucanas are EE's from the hatchery. These two I hatched from shipped eggs and I've never seen feathers like this before.

IMG_0931.jpg

ohhh myy gooodddd I WANT SOME NOW! my 2 favorite breeds mixed OMG GIVE ME EM NOW lol
th.gif

How cool! They definetley look like Silkie Amer crosses. They look so soft
big_smile.png
Would that technically make them EE's? Well whatever they are, you should def breed them.

They can't be silkie crosses...because there would be feathers on the legs, a semi-crest, and blackish colored features. Also...the comb would be very sloppy on these birds...but they have a perfect pea comb.

Quote:
I'm not saying they are silkie crosses, but I had some silkie crosses with a variety of combs-none sloppy, and some had no leg feathers. Also some did not have blackish features. Just saying....

edited to add: they are absolutely gorgeous btw
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom