Make your own Apple Cider Vinegar

DrakeMaiden

Overrun with Drakes
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
Kitsap County, WA
For those who may be interested, it is really easy to make your own vinegar.

1. Buy unfiltered, unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar (w/ "mother")

2. Get some fresh or frozen apple juice (you could also use other fruit juices, but then it wouldn't be ACV!) -- make sure it has no added chemicals (some can inhibit vinegar formation).

3. Combine the store-bought ACV with your juice in a large glass jar or stoneware crock -- don't use metal and avoid plastic. Mix well with a non-reactive spoon (or just swirl the jar around).

4. Cover with cheesecloth or similar fabric -- I use a somewhat porous dish towel. You want to keep bugs, dust, etc. out but let air in.

5. Set in a mildly warm (60-80 degrees F), dark place for weeks.

6. Taste it to check on strength, until you feel it is done.

Then you can filter it and keep it in a jar . . . I think you might want to refrig it just to be safe, or

You can keep your "mother" (the bacterial culture responsible for converting your juice to vinegar) alive by regularly taking small amounts out and then adding small amounts of juice back (and then waiting a few weeks for the vinegar to regain strength).

I'm still learning this, but I thought I'd share it in case some of you are interested in trying it too.
smile.png

I have no idea where to find pure unfiltered apple cider vinegar with mother. If others are like me, you can follow the advice above, just using plain, unpasteurized apple cider, which may be easier to find at this time of year. Or juice some apples, if you have a juicer. I have been doing this for awhile, and, though I get very nice ACV, with all the *live* elements that makes it so healthy, I have not yet acquired any *mother*. I still don't know why, but I don't care anymore. A cup of this finished vinegar in a new batch of cider will get things started more quickly, but, in my experience, unpasteurized cider will turn to vinegar, given the chance, without any outside help. (Add a bit to some red or white wine and you'll end up with nice wine vinegar as well)

Quote:
Unfiltered, unpasteurized ACV w/ "mother" can be found in health food stores. Someone mentioned they also found it at their grocery store in the organic foods section.

It is true that you MAY get vinegar just by leaving juice or wine out in a container like that. However, my biggest concern is that you could also get any number of other microorganisms living in your culture. It is safer and also probably faster to start with vinegar that has the living bacteria that you wish to propogate.

I find it strange that you get vinegar w/o a "mother". I'm not sure what to make of that exactly. It could be that your vinegar never matured to the stage where a visible "mother" appeared on your product, but I don't know your circumstances. I'm glad you had success and that your product seems perfectly safe.

junebug7334, yes you can use it when your animals get sick, but lots of people use it year-round to prevent illness. I use it more in the winter, because I notice the benefits more then.

Yes, MissPrissy, I agree. There is something comforting about knowing that you will always have some vinegar on hand. It is also a great way to use up apples if you ever have too many.

And yes, if you want to diversify and make wine vinegar you could do that too. I'm thinking about trying to make rice wine vinegar, myself, but I will do it in a separate container so that I can keep the ACV culture going.

Just buy a gallon of unpasturized apple cider from your local cider mill, transfer to a glass container, cover with cheesecloth or tea towel. Put in dark place for about 3 months, and there you have it. Apple Cider Vinegar. Did this last year with some cider that was a little ripe to drink. Worked great. We always add it to our chicken's water, all year long. The cost is unbeatable...$5.00 for a gallon of cider, or about $16.00 for a gallon of Braggs.

Raw ACV is good probiotics. It is healthy for you, your chivkens and any other pets. I use 1 tbsp to a gallon waterer. It will keep algea at bay in your water dishes, too.

I personally Love apple cider soaked french fries. But that'd be a nice additive to a waterer for algae growth. Thanks for the idea.
smile.png

ETA: We always keep a gallon on hand. & I have a filled glass shaker with it. Ya never know when you'll need some for fries.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom