What are you canning now?

Quote:
If you saw my freezer, you'd understand why I can!
gig.gif

Mine too, we have to deer and 20 something chickens. It is full to the top......just the way I like it!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
What you need depends on what you want to can. The best book I have is the Ball Blue Book. Do a little searching on Google and you will find a ton of info. You will love it, canning is very rewarding!

Quote:
What you need depends on what you want to can. The best book I have is the Ball Blue Book. Do a little searching on Google and you will find a ton of info. You will love it, canning is very rewarding!

i wonder what i can can(heehe) this time of year?..the garden has gone by...what do you do for winter canning?

Haven't canned anything this Fall, but the dehydrators have been going almost daily.

The list is: tomatoes, onions (so many they ran us out of the house and had to move the dehydrators to the garage), celery, papaya, mushrooms, oranges, grapefruit and limes.

Whew.

Cranberry Chutney

1 lb fresh or frozen cranberries
2 and 1/4 cups br. sugar, packed
1 cup raisins
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1 teas grated onion
1/4 tsp. groumd cloves

Combine all ingred.in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 min. or until slightly thickened; stirring occasionally. Pour into hot sterilized jars; leaving 1/4 in headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 10 min. in a boiling water bath. Yield 4 and 1/2 cups.
I do a double batch @ a time.
Very tasty!
tongue.png

Thanks Sparks, now this I have got to try!!
Wegotchickens-I think this would go very well as a condiment for pork as well as any turkey dish. You might try it on chicken also? I would bet this is a very pretty chutney.
Now I have a question...what can you replace the candied ginger with? Or can I just add some grated ginger to get the ginger taste in there and not worry about the candied ginger?

Last edited:
Quote:
The recipe she posted says pecans or walnuts. You should be fine.

Silly me. I had thought she called it Cranberry Walnut Chutney, so that's the only nuts that registered when I read the recipe.

Quote:
The recipe she posted says pecans or walnuts. You should be fine.

Silly me. I had thought she called it Cranberry Walnut Chutney, so that's the only nuts that registered when I read the recipe.

It's very easy to do that!

Back
Top Bottom