Another Bagel Recipe

Redfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
Gervais OR
I've been trying out different recipes for bagels. I prefer a bagel made out of bread flour, but I don't always have it on hand. I think I found one I really like with all purpose flour. I made these today and got 25 bagels, some small, others large...I had fun topping them with shredded cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic and a few with sesame seeds.

Egg Bagels:

4 Eggs
2 packets yeast
8 Cups of Flour
2 Cups of Warm water
1/4 Cup of oil
1 Tablespoon of Salt
1 Tablespoon of Sugar

Oven 450

Mix all ingredients, knead on floured surface for ten minutes.

Let the dough rise 20 min

Punch down and divide into 25 balls of dough. Form bagel by either rollling snake like and connecting ends, or leave them in the ball shape, poke a hole with your finger and stretch the dough into bagel shapes (easier for me to do it this way). Let the bagels rise on a greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Meanwhile get a big stock pot of water boiling. After the dough has risen, place a few bagels at a time in boiling water and boil for three minutes, flip them once during boiling.

Your oven should be heated to 450.

Once bagels have boiled, place them back on greased cookie sheet and top with cheese or herbs. Bake for 20 minutes.

Bagels are so easy, and they freeze well...if you can get them to last that long.
wink.png

Enjoy!

Picture121.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Yummm. Those look great. I nominated you to be added to the
recipe sticky.

Years ago, when I was in my young 20's, my BIL worked overnight making
bagels. I'd show up at 2AM, smoked a cig with him, and help make bagels.
It was a good time. Grateful Dead was always playing in the background.
roll.png

Quote:
Two guys listening to hippy music, and making bagels early in the morning.
big_smile.png
Good times! lol

lololol You know it.
hugs.gif

Of my original 25 I made just a few hours ago. I'm down to 7. My son shows up and takes several home...as well as my friend. I should learn to make a triple batch
tongue.png

Those look seriously yummy. I'm gonna try some this week using salt.
Salt bagels taste like big pretzels.

Again, my compliments on a good recipe. Wait until the rest of the
cooks get here.
wink.png

Wow, this is cool! I was just saying I wanted to try to make bagels. I will definitely be trying this. Very nice use of eggs!

What kind of herbs/cheese are you finding work the best?

lol Thank you PC. I hadn't thought about salting them, that would be good. I remember growing up on the East Coast and buying huge salted pretzels at the mall. The ones here on the West coast just aren't as good.

Quote:
Finely grated cheddar, or sharp cheese and herbs of any kind, but I really like dried Italian seasoning and garlic powder.

Back
Top Bottom