newly hatched ducks, super sticky?

BellLisamo

Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Tombstone, AZ
The poor dears are soooo sticky that their eyes are basically glued open. So i used a warm washcloth and wipes there faces off, and now they can shut their eyes, but what about their bodies? They are super sticky too, so they arent drying?

Quote:
they are fine, getting around just fine, the humidity was in the 70%+ during hatch, and for the most part from 65%+ the whole incubation

maybe they are actually not wet enough. they may have the 'goop' drying to them.

you may have to wash them off with some warm water.
smile.png

Quote:
thats what i was thinking. i tried wiping them gently with a washcloth but they are still sticky. do you think it would be ok to wash them in warm water, and try to dry them with a towel and put them back in the bator?
i dont want them to go into shock!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
thats what i was thinking. i tried wiping them gently with a washcloth but they are still sticky. do you think it would be ok to wash them in warm water, and try to dry them with a towel and put them back in the bator?
i dont want them to go into shock!!

wash them under warm water really well. pat dry and tehn back into the bator. just keep warm.

I agree..too low humidity causes sticky chicks, especially when quite a few in the hatch ends up this way. You'll want to use higher humidity levels next time. It's all about trial and error. As long as they can move around, they should preen that up over time. They just won't cute and fluffy for a few days, but they should be fine.

That is residual albumen, and should be totally gone by hatch time. It can be caused by temperature, Too high or too low temperature can cause these problems. Which at hatch time can appear is if there is not enough humidity causing the duckling to dry hard as a brick to the shell, or the fluff to be hard as a brick after hatch.

thanks guys!!! better luck next time. This was my 1st hatch.. EVER!
I'm just happy they are alive and moving around now!

I've got the same thing with my last two Trader Joe's peeps. I thought the hatch was over, dropped the humidity and then PIP! PIP!

They're happy and healthy, but they look like giant, crusty boogers.

Back
Top Bottom