Best way to ship eggs

Picco

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
NY
Its been a while since I shipped eggs, remind me how to do it please. I used to wrap each egg in a strip of bubble wrap and then wrap them in bunches in a box with packing peanuts. That worked out well but I'm up to suggestions. I used to send them out from the post office but I'd like to learn of better/cheaper options. I will only be sending a dozen plus at a time.

I remember somebody mentioning flat rate boxes, where would I find these?

Is it best to label the box with a "FRAGILE EGGS" label or to write nothing at all?

What carrier is best; USPS, UPS, FedEx...?

Thanks!

I've gotten eggs many different ways and asking this line of questionings will probably bring about more questions than answers! lol As everyone has their own (strong) opinion on the matter. I find that bubble wrapped in shredded paper or bubble wrapped in egg cartons and then packaged securely in the box with shredded paper or some other firm material does just fine.

As for the shipping part..... many folks believe that marking a package as 'fragile' or 'hatching eggs' only temps the postal worker to smash it to smithereens. I however like to believe in the best in people and believe that if you mark the package 'fragile, live embryos, do not freeze or drop' works well and might very well keep it OFF the mail sorting escalators that result in much of the damage.

That's my opinion on the matter
wink.png

Flat rate boxes are free from the postal service and are for Priority shipping... though many boxes of eggs can be shipped a few bucks cheaper than that even... though I am trying to find the very best combination myself. I've only shipped USPS and I'd love to hear how other companies have compared.

Hello there! I am a rural postal carrier. Needless to say I can answer some of your questions. The flat rate boxes are free from usps.com. They will deliver them to your door for you. eggs are relatively light though, so it might be cheaper to send them in a normal box. If the box is marked fragile, fertilized eggs, etc. we will be extra careful with them. Believe me I have been. I even took the eggs to the door instead of leaving it in the parcel locker by the mailbox. I didn't know how hot you could get eggs and have them still be good. I figured they would be better off sitting in the shaded porch than a big metal box in the full July sun. I cannot stress bubble wrap enough. Boxes will get smashed acidentially and it is always best to pack properly to start. Last week I delivered a leaking box to someones home. They were not happy that their high end molasses was broken. It was sent without insurance or any packing material. Just placed in the box. In the senders defence it was an almost full box of glass jars. Even one layer of bubble wrap would have saved them. I do recomend getting insurance. It generally only costs a dollar or two more and this way you don't have to eat the cost of the eggs if they do get broken. With the isnurance the claiment is required to show that the item was well packed to begin with. Good luck with the shipping. Remember you can always go to or call your local P.O. with questions. They are hurting financially now and are trying to get and keep more shipping customers so will walk you through the process if need be.

Blessings, Francisca

Back
Top Bottom