Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Pinkchick, I'm just on the other side of Mr. St. Helen's from you! We are not in the foothills of Mt. St. Helen's, we are on a mountain next to it, Dunegan Mountain next to Lake Merwin. We are right near Camper's Hideaway if you know where that is.
We have Buff Orpingtons, RIR and Russian Orloffs, 19 all together. We got them as chicks last spring so I'm here to learn. I am amazed at the wealth of information I've learned reading posts on BYC.

I have a funny incident to relate, my chickens just started laying so I have been expecting some odd eggs and told my husband and one of my sons about it. My oldest son however somehow did not hear the conversation. He was quite horrified to be the one to collect an "shellless" egg, he came to my husband with it completely grossed out! He thought we had a mutant chicken.

hu.gif
Ok so whatis a shellless egg?? I have neverheard that term. WHat causes it?

Welcome Deb
welcome-byc.gif

I lived in BAttleground up till about 4 years ago when I moved further north. We have 2 min pins one I rescued from the pound. They could not adopt him out because he would bite everyone. THey were amazed when I walked up to him and just picked him up. The dorks working there had stuck him in a little tiny crate and were letting kids pole their fingers at him and harass him then wondered why he wanted to bite everyone. My second is another one I got from a breeder. I love my min pin's but they sure don't like my chickens
gig.gif
By the way what are midget turkeys?????? Do you raise the Golden MArans??

Does anyone in North Western Washington, know where I can get 1 or 2 juvenile Khaki Campbell ducks?

I have one lonely juvenile khaki drake, his buddy passed this morning in a freak accident, and now he is the only duck left in his pen. I would prefer to not keep him with just chickens, it just doesnt seem fair. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
I'm sure it is an omlette as well but sometimes a first egg from a pullet can be formed without any shell, just the inner membrane holding it together. I was learning about them here on BYC on one of the threads about eggs.
Apparently it is not an uncommon first egg and happens when their reproductive system is still gearing up. They do look gross though! We did not eat ours. Too weird looking.
Maybe someone here will have a more technical answer but that is what I've come to understand can happen and sure enough it did to ours. That chicken is laying nice large normal eggs every day now. The shells are nice and hard and normal. Just the one was like that.

Arin you had a very nice explanation of what a shelless egg is. I have seen it my self in years past. I had used oyster shell to help with the problem. This time I am using DE. I have always thrown away a egg that does not form a shell. I hope that i have not caused any offense with the humor. And a big HEY to 300 pages of posts for the Washington Group!

Last edited:
Quote:
When you are posting, to the right of the text box you will see - Smilies[show] [hide] - Click the show and you will see some additional choices. (edited to say:::: You beat me feathersnuggles)

WooHoo to the 300+posts.
clap.gif

frow.gif
"New Eggs" Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

New "Eggs"
wee.gif
Yippee!!!!!!! I am so jealous.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
When you are posting, to the right of the text box you will see - Smilies[show] [hide] - Click the show and you will see some additional choices. (edited to say:::: You beat me feathersnuggles)

WooHoo to the 300+posts.
clap.gif

frow.gif
"New Eggs" Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

New "Eggs"
wee.gif
Yippee!!!!!!! I am so jealous.
hit.gif

No wai! That is way too easy. I always have to hit the quote button so I can see how to type it out...
barnie.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom