Our first show--THE BEST DAY EVER!!!!!!!!WITH PICS!

BluegrassSeramas

Serama Savvy
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Central Kentucky
HI!

OK, so Im really super super tired. Only slept 2 and a half hours because we were so nervous. I didnt get a nap on the floor at the end of Serama row like Kelly did----lol sorry no pics!----- but here goes. Please excuse my typos!

So we were really nervous about the Bluegrass Poultry Association show--District 3 for Seramas and we were going to be judged by Edgar Mongold a SCNA judge and do table top showing.
Ive never shown and neither has Kelly. I know my serama type, but dont know what judges look for or how to prepare a bird AT ALL. I'll I know is how to breed them and raise them into happy and healthy birds.
smile.png

PLUS to top it all off, my personal favorites molted off their tails and I had sent more great hen's to my partner's indoor breeding pens so that we could offer eggs for once and when I went to get some back, they were not in the greatest feather quality. Its pretty dry in there, and they dont shine like my outdoor/grass/sun birds do. SO--I had to pick some that were out of production here, I thought were pretty good, but not the best. I was really frustrated and disappointed, but we were already committed. We ended up picking only 6 out of our ton of birds.

So Kelly and I split the birds up since we had no idea how involved we had to be with tabletop showing (Ive never even seen it in person) since we didnt want to be overwhelmed. Kelly also decided to bring her Australorp roo from a flock that was given to her by our friend who has raised them for over 15 years. We know nothing about Australorp type, but knew that Junior did, and we trusted his judgement. Plus this roo was stunning--we didnt even bathe him.

We were up all night going over birds, and then hardly slept to get back up and taking them to the show..it was good sized with lots of exhibitors.
Check it out!
SHOW061.jpg

They had the coolest hand painted plates for prizes!
SHOW062.jpg

We were luck enough to have some friends help and educate us on how to polish them up.
So-------shout out!
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH TYLER from BriarPatchFarms!!!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU! (He was there too, and I think won everything that there was to win for his Cochin roo, lol and needs to tell his story too! WITH PICS!)

Well...we met the judge--SUPER NICE and very informative. He was the greatest judge ever. So far all the SCNA judges we have met are AWESOME!
We figured out that table top judging is the most fun ever, we learned a lot, showing was not as stressful as we thought.....AND.........

WE WON BEST OF SERAMA BREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SHOW021.jpg

SHOW052.jpg

AND WE WON BEST OF BREED IN AUSTRALORPS TOO!!!!!!!!!!
SHOW064.jpg

SHOW072.jpg

IT WAS THE GREATEST DAY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
woot.gif
clap.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
big_smile.png

celebrate.gif
I'm so happy for you!! Just think, if your favorites had not been in molt, you could have really wowed them! That is so neat, I saw the thread the other day saying how your austrolorp roo wasn't 'to type', guess that shows them huh?
tongue2.gif

A very very big CONGRATS on such a great job at the show!!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH TYLER from BriarPatchFarms!!!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU! (He was there too, and I think won everything that there was to win for his Cochin roo, lol and needs to tell his story too! WITH PICS!)

Your so very welcome and I will post mine asap so tired tonight though I'll do it tomarrow and another congrats to ya and I told you thatit wasn't that stressful just a little trying to get ready

Quote:
That bird doesn't even have the same stance. Looks like a completely different bird than the one in the other thread. Glad he started standing better and is holding that tail down when the judge came by!

Last edited:
Quote:
That bird doesn't even have the same stance. Looks like a completely different bird than the one in the other thread. Glad he started standing better and is holding that tail down when the judge came by!

I think that his tail looks different in the other thread maybe because he was running around the coop when I was taking his pictures. His hens are terrified of people still...they will warm up.....and he runs around with them when I come in to take pictures....and don't have a feed scoop in my hand.

ALSO....he was the only Roo....the rest were pullets. I must admit that the JR Aussie roo was GORGEOUS....and I think would have beat mine if he were in the open show.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom