Anyone ever hatch a double yolk egg?

I have often wondered if there was enough room in an egg for two developing chicks! good question! I hope someone answers it. Why don't you give it a try and get back with me? I do not seem to have any roosters.

Some people have successfully hatched chicks from a double yolker, however, one seems to be more dominant, and the other embryo dies early on. Here in England, there was a case last week I think about 2 ducklings hatching from the same egg.

There was someone on here who accidentaley put a fertile double yolker in their incubator, however, both the embryos died.

Sure, there have been cases of double yolkers hatching- normally helped out- but either 1 or both will die, early on, during hatching- one wont have an aircell and may drown- or later on.

Ill find some links to double yolkers- there is a video on youtube- and I will edit my post to add them.

eggsrcool
smile.png

ETA- The links as promised!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itains-recorded-twin-ducklings-make-show.html

Last edited:
I wondered if my last black copper maran baby to hatch had been from a double yalker. Her hatched four days after his hatch mates, literally just before I got ready to toss the eggs! He had to have help. My bad I know, but he was 4 days late and was STUCK! He had yellow GOO all over him that looked exactly like boiled egg yolk, exactly like it! He was weaker than his hatch mates. I put him in a seperate brooder with 1 buddy. After about a week he was ready to go back with his brothers & sisters. They are about 6 weeks old and I have no idea which one he is, so he must be fine
smile.png

12 weeks ago I hatched a double yoker of barred rocks. When the dominant chick hatched, the other came out as well but hadn't absorbed the yolk yet and it died the next morning, the other is a healthy pullet out with the flock... I have heard of successful hatches where both chicks survive...
big_smile.png

Three years ago we had 5 eggs under our favorite little broody Hen. She was in the nursery coop all by herself...the day after 4 of the eggs hatched I went outside to check on her and the fifth egg was zipping...2 chicks came out of that egg. One chick was larger than the other but both survived. My brother in law who worked with chickens before he retired kept saying the little one will die, no way twins will live, if it lives it will have physical/mental problems. Well 3 years later Fanny and Peanut (the little twin) are still going strong. Both are great egg layers and both are wonderful Mammas each spring. Peanut was smaller than her siblings until she was about six months old, at that point she had a growth spurt and has been the same size as the rest ever since. They aren't "identical" in looks, Peanut has more of a red tint to her feathers than Fanny does...Fanny is more of a goldish buff.
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom