EEs from ChooksChick! new pics in February - page 7

firedove

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Fitzwilliam NH
My October egg swap EE eggs from ChooksChick hatched out into the cutest little EE fuzz butts! Here are some pics of the latest additions!

All10Hatch2.jpg

IsBLRmaybe.jpg

BlueandSplash.jpg

Ten hatched out of 16 eggs. I'm told that the grey one is a blue and the yellows will be either buff or blue splash. The rest are? Any color goes is what I was told. That one in the second pic looks just like the BLRW splash chicks I got last spring. Is BLR a possibility? Hopefully CC will take a look at this and let me know!

ETA: Their first meal was scrambled egg because we went to the feed store on Monday and they were out of chick food. They didn't get it in until today and DH couldn't pick up til after work so I just got the chick food an hour ago. They are happily munching on crumble now.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll post updates from time to time. I've never hatched EEs before and this sure is a colorful bunch! I can't keep all these guys but they are fun to have for now! I may be inclined to keep a pullet or two if they don't find homes right away, They are very sweet chicks and very tame. I had to change the paper in their brooder due to a water spill. Usually with chicks I can just sweep down my hand and they all move out of the way. These guys I had to scoop up and move to the other end so I could get the paper in and it was still difficult because they kept wanting to run back to my hands while I was trying to put the paper in place, lol.

They are too sweet!
love.gif
But I can't fall in love, I can't, I can't! I have plenty of chickens as it is and coop space is limited! But they are so cute! How do you not fall in love with a pile of fuzzbutts that think you are mommy??? Especially ones that cute?!

*SIGH*

They are cute, aren't they!?!? I do love my girls, and their chicks always make me happy!!

I don't think you'll get BLR mixed in there, though my roo does have red bleeding through at the wings. None of the hens have any red to speak of- that I know of, anyway. There is a BIG possibility of Gold Laced Blue. One hen has cranked out a few that look like they'll go that way, as she is that color/pattern, and another has that Gold Laced Black look to her, and he'd likely be passing on a diluting gene that could turn the black blue...but who the heck can ever tell what's in these guys??

I have a good notion, b/c of the way his genes work with my splash hen that he's largely splash with just a bit of extra, but that wildcard is never consistent, so it's still a guessing game. I like games!

I could see some red coming out one day, but the odds from my goofing off with the chicken calculator have given me something like 1/128. The blues come out clean, all the way to adult with the pullets, while the cockerals end up with silver lacing in the hackles and saddle feathers. Most blues end up with a darker neck and tail, with wonderful dark blue lacing. I'll nab some pics of a couple of 10 wk-olds I have running around... and some of the splashes... and some of the chipmunks... Anyone in the NE Kansas SW Missouri area need any birds???

Lots of fun colors! By gold laced blue do you mean blue feathers with gold lacing or gold feathers with blue lacing? Most of the splash BLR look more like pale blue laced gold or buff laced. Even actual BLR can have poor coloring and be BL gold instead of red. Just like you can get black laced reds. Anyways, it's bound to be very cute! The blue is super cute. I *might* just have to keep a few of these guys around, especially if I can tell the pullets from the cockerels in a few weeks. I did lose two hens this summer after all. DH will be less than thrilled at the prospect.
hide.gif

pop.gif
<--- me waiting to see how the little ones turn out!

Quote:
I mean a blue feather laced with gold! I know- it's wild...I don't know if I could figure out how to do it on purpose, but if you look at CindyLouWho you'll see what I mean:

14596_cindylouwho.jpg

I got shots of some of the chicks, but my phone's USB port is on the fritz...I'll be wiggling it for a bit to upload.

And here's a shot of the egg basket:

14596_correctedeggbasket.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom