what does Egg bound mean?

McEgg

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 27, 2007
Guthrie, Ok
Hen will not eat, drink or move out of coop. Has poopy butt. I have seen several posts mentioning "egg bound" chicken.
sad.png
what is this and how do you fix it?

Eggbound means they have an egg in there that needs to be laid but got stuck. Can you check her abdomen and see if she has a mass in it or an egg shape in it?

The method to fix is bring hen in house and put her in tub of warm water and massage her abdomen so she can lay egg (about 1/2 hour i think). My hen didnt like that so I got a heating pad on her bum and sat with her in my lap for a while.

Eggbound is when an egg gets stuck in the oviduct as the hen is trying to lay it.

It happened to my Matilda last fall, and I could feel the egg in there by palpating her lower abdomen -- dunno whether or not you can *always* feel it but I think you often/usually can. She also prolapsed from straining at the stuck egg, but I guess they don't always.

Here are some threads discussing treatment of eggbound chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26414
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24840

There
are many others, but note that that eggbound seems often to be confused with internal laying and/or salpingitis, as well as plenty of other problems.

OTOH, does your hen seem actually ill -- under the weather -- or is it concievable she is just feeling broody? <crossed fingers>

Good luck,

Pat, in Canada

She looks fine will eat a bite or 2 of bread. She will not interact with others and saw just standing in the coop. She only walks if she has to . Slight poop on tail feathers. She is our double yolk layer, EVERY egg she has ever laid was a doubler yolker. I am goin to sit her in the tub and see if that helps

will let you know how it goes

thanks!!!!!

after the thirty minutes in the water do we put her back in the nest or will she lay it in the water?

I would put her in a kennel in the house and check with other people and the link given above. You may want to make some oatmeal for her. Keep her warm and quiet. I am not an expert by any means so maybe some one else has more input

Quote:
It does sound like she might be eggbound, and a warm sitzbath sounds like a good thing to try.

When I went thru this with Matilda it was suggested to me, very sensibly i think, to make sure she had plenty of calcium-rich foods to eat -- I gave her yogurt, and I think crushed Tums as well. To help the egg-movin'-along muscles work at optimal strength. (edited to add: oh, and vitamins in here water)

Good luck,

Pat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom