Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
There is a man Paul Healy, who claims to have found surviving original Barnevelders from early Dutch settlers in Tasmania. The information is posted on the American Barnevelder club's page at http://groups.google.com/group/american-barnevelder-club?hl=en

Here
is a picture of his eggs:

30473_barnevelder_egg_color.jpg

Quote:
It's interesting that the German Barnevelders have a completely different back and tail set when compared to the Barnevelders from Holland. I think I prefer the less dramatic Holland type.
smile.png

BACK: Well balanced and concave. Medium in length, broad
and deep.
TAIL: Full with a graceful, uniform sweep. Carried high, up to
50 degrees above the horizontal.

I copied this from an earlier page on this thread. Is this the American standard? I've only read the standards for the breeds online. We're trying to hold out for an updated edition, as they're @ $70 with shipping.

The copied description sounds like the German tail. Keep in mind, I'm no professional chicken exhibitor:)
Kelli

I have a single barnvelder hen. She's still a pullet and hasn't started laying quite yet so I can't post a pic of egg color. Here is a pic of her and I would like any feedback on appearance and quality of bird. She is going into the North Idaho Fair tomorrw. I'll let you know how she does. Edited to Add: new pic of barnevelder. Taken today.

Pic #1 (3 months old)
63107_016.jpg

Pic #2 (4 months old)
63107_004.jpg

Pic#3 (5 months old - taken today) - This one doesn't show the angle of the tail feathers but does show the double barring
63107_barnie_1.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO, I still think the German type still has too extreme of a tail and too sharply of a curved back. The Holland line seems to have the "uniform sweep" and "well balanced and concave" back. I think I would trust the Holland type seeing how that is where the breed originated
smile.png
I like the heavier look of the Holland line too. Barnevelders should be a dual purpose bird for eggs and meat.

BACK: Well balanced and concave. Medium in length, broad
and deep.
TAIL: Full with a graceful, uniform sweep. Carried high, up to
50 degrees above the horizontal

Not the best pictures, but show the top line of my favorite hens in my flock. They still need work, in fact I have a pullet that I'm going to cull because she holds her tail toooo low.

30473_chickens_282.jpg

30473_barnevelder_pullet_11.jpg

Trish,
I like your U shaped hens too. The Germans make me think of the nike swoosh. Not that we'll personally ever show these, I just wondered what judges consider concave, medium, wide and broad. Thanks for the pictures of your beautiful birds. I'd buy your culls
droolin.gif
!
Kelli

OK: So here are my birds.

1. Mick the roo

37043_dscf6280.jpg

2. Edelweiss is the broody. Although you can see some of the barring on her feathers, I think her breast is way too reddish for "correct" confirmation.

37043_dscf8778.jpg

3. Blossom and Daisy look very similar. But Daisy is a bit blacker. Blossom has reddish underfeathers on the back of her neck. I'm not seeing very good barring here.

37043_dscf8769.jpg

4. Rusty ~ although she is my favorite hen (I love her rusty coloring), I think she's way too red and way too much in the "partridge" feather end of things to be correct confirmation.

37043_dscf8760.jpg

And finally, here are some of my eggs. The green ones are from my Easter Eggers and the tan from my production Reds. Unfortunately, I do not know which hen is laying which of the brown eggs. (I suppose I could find out if it was really worth the effort. But unless someone tells me my chickens are worth breeding, they will probably mostly be used as egg layers.) The eggs are moist because I left them sitting out of the fridge for a few minutes on a warm, humid afternoon.

37043_dscf8878.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi, Mick the roo looks decent other than maybe having a bit too much red on his back and saddle feathers. Of the hens, Daisy is the closest to Barnevelder color. Rusty is a Welsummer I believe. Several breeders and hatchery's have Barnevelders that have been crossed with Welsummers. That is where you get the partridge reddish color and salmon colored breasts.

I like the speckled egg! One of my hens gives me one of those. But, she's my smallest hen and doesn't lay very well. Maybe one of her daughters will do better.

When hatching Barnevelder chicks, keep an eye out for chicks with strong "V" markings on their heads. That could mean that they have too much welsummer in them. I think the solid or almost solid dark headed chicks turn out better marked. Also select for the cleanest lacing
smile.png

Trisha

Back
Top Bottom