calling any one from missouri

Looks like it is back to reality for a lot of us. I will be returning to work too after being sick all week.

My BB reds were the only ones that went out today. It was funny, they didn't step out in the snow but flew from their door to a perch in the middle of their run! I could hear one of the roosters crowing loudly so I knew at least he was out but when I got down there it was him another roo and 2 of the girls and none of them had stepped in the snow! Too funny!
lol.png

Some of the snow drifts getting down to the hen house are above my knees! I hate this! Let the sun shine and melt it all away! I am with you Ernie, I am ready for gardening and warm weather!

Gardening and warm weather X3!

My girls have been staying in since the big snow. They will do anything in their power to stay out of the snow and I'm afraid the only place they can do that is in the chickenhouse!
smile.png

My flock doesn't seem to have a problem getting their feet cold. They've been out in it. Not sure how long but I know they've been out.

Boy the trees around the river were beautiful this morning! Driving down the gravel road heading into the river valley was amazing! Wish I'd taken a pitcure... Maybe tommorrow...

Stay warm all!!!

Oh, I'm working on adding more hens to my flock so if you have any you might be interested in parting with... Got to replace the 2 I lost!

Well Missouri another day in the deep freeze again! Harrisonville returned to school today and OH was it wonderful driving that school bus in 0 temps! Wouldn't be so bad except that you have to keep opening the door to let kids on and let the cold air inside!!

Ernie

Where is my summer weather! Lets split the difference between 100 and 0! I could do that LOL

Well Missouri How is everyone today! The weather has warmed a little but we still have a Lot of Snow sitting on the ground and it looks like more on the way in a couple of days! So batten down the Chickies Houses and Hold on to your hats! We may be in for it again!!

Ernie

This part of Missouri was in the mid 40's today and LOTS of the snow melted. I have very little left except where it had "drifted" a little. Maybe an inch here and there. Glad when Spring finally gets here. Was going to let a couple of hens sit on some eggs but think after hearing others say RIR's aren't good brooders, I will just order some chicks from Estes hatchery in Springfield. Got my RIR's from their last year and didn't have any problems so think I will order some Silver Laced Wyandottes and some Barred Plymouth Rocks. Just 4 a piece should do nicely. Hope everyone is doing well and no more snow or just a little the rest of the winter. Am looking forward to SPRING.

Michigan Transplant- It may go without saying but make sure if you order from Estes, you get them vaccinated against Marek's. From anywhere but definitely them. I bought some from Orscheln's last year and had several die from Mareks. When I called Orscheln's, they said they came from Estes and they didn't vaccinate them to make them cheaper in the stores. Lesson learned the hard way.

I opened the door to the hen house yesterday and only 1 volunteer came out. Everyone else just looked at me like I was crazy. Of course the crazy part could be true.
lol.png

No melting here in central MO. It did feel warmer though at 30 + degrees. This snow is not going anywhere soon. Sorry snow haters.

Phoenix chicks are smelling up my garage. I am trying to wean them from the heat lamp but feel sorry for them, even in the garage. When I move the heat lamp up, they hover together. But they are fully feathered. Go figure.

Quote:
Chicks do not "come" with Mareks disease. They have to be exposed to it, to get it. Doesn't matter where they come from .... it is not passed on through the egg. If you google it, you can learn more about it, or use the search button here on BYC .... there are many many threads about it.

I didn't mean to imply that they were born with it. After the loss of several of my birds to it, I learned alot about Marek's from BYC, a vet and my own research. I had no other birds to expose them to it so they had to either get it from the hatchery or from Orscheln's. I won't take the chance again. I will only purchase birds that have been vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom