calling any one from missouri

Quote:
from this:
http://extension.unh.edu/Agric/Docs/mareks.pdf

Transmission:
Marek’s is highly contagious and spreads by bird-to-bird contact, by contact with infected dust and dander, and by darkling beetles and mealworms that live in the chicken house, although the virus has no affect on the beetles or mealworms.
Other organisms common to chicken houses such as free-living mites, mosquitoes and coccidia do not transmit the disease. Chickens are most commonly exposed to Marek’s by contact with residual dust and dander in previously infected houses, by aerosol (air) contamination from a nearby house, or by virus particles carried by personnel and equipment. The virus doesn’t survive the incubation process well and is not spread by hatching eggs. Immune transfer from the hen to the chick provides some protection to the chick for the first few days of life.

Last edited:
I did get my RIR from Estes last year and didn't have a problem with any of them. No matter where you get the chicks from you take your chances, I know that. I will be ordering some from Estes and will hope that they are all healthy and make it since I haven't lost a single one from any disease. Did have one that the legs were weird shaped so when I couldn't stand watching it any longer we killed her. That was hard since my husband did it and had a rusty old hatchet that didn't work on the first try. I yelled at him and said if he couldn't do it right I would do it more humanly. My chickens are "just " animals but they are friends as well.

Thanks everyone for any and all information you have sent me. I really appreciate hearing from others who have more experience and things to share.

Quote:
I agree with you .... it is very wise to vaccinate for Mareks! It is a devastating disease, for sure.

I agree with both of you. I will always get mine vaccinated! I thought Orscheln's always bought vaccinated birds but I guess not.

Estes seems to care about people and I don't think they would sell bad stock. I have seen things and heard about Orchilen's (Spelling) merchandise so wouldn't purchase anything LIVE from them. They had a rabbit there last year and the poor thing had a cough.
Estes has treated my good so I have no complaints. IF something ever happens I will talk to them about it but until them I will purchase my new little ones from there to join the others I got there last year.
Sorry you had a bad experience from your purchase. Maybe the next time you will have better luck.

Most times the live stock that the farm supply stores have is not kept at the stores very long. My experience has been that they get restocked each week. If the store has a bad or sick stock then I would think that it was from the supply side of things.
I'm not saying anything directly about Estes because I don't know.
My first chickens came from Orchelin's. I bought seven and out of that three turned out to be roosters, one pullet died suddenly after three months. The other hens were sexlinks, two lived for about a year and a half before dieing and the last one was around for about two years until she dissapeared one day while free ranging.

I bought 6 pullets from Orsheln 2 years ago. Two of those birds got out of the cage I had them in and ended up in the dog's belly and the other 4 are still doing great. I was told those birds came from Cackle Hatchery and had been vaccinated. I think they buy from different ones depending on who will give them the best price but I don't know if all are vaccinated or not.

I talked to Orschelns. They do not get vaccinated chicks. Honestly, I do not know of any feed store type place that does.

Think about it though .... how much good would it be if they did. People come and go, in and out of the store. Farmers and backyard hobbyists with flocks at home carry in all kinds of things. When you vaccinate for Mareks, the chicks have to be quarantined for 10 - 14 days (takes at least 10 days for the vaccine to work, for them to be immune). If the chicks are exposed before that 10 days, the vaccine does not work. How do they become exposed? Infected particles of dust or dander, such as on your shoes, is one way. The NPIP tester told me you can carry a particle in your ear or in your nose ..... it's everywhere!

With Mareks, it's like a race as to who will get to the chick first .... the exposure or the vaccine. It is critical to keep the chicks quarantined in a sanitized brooder and environment for at least 10 days. That means you have to shower and change your clothes before caring for them, if you have been outside with your flock. Of course, easiest is to first care for them (when you are fresh from the shower and in clean clothes) and then your flock. Still, it is not a simple process. The failure rate of Mareks vaccine is said to be related to the lack of strict quarantine.

Frankly, I would suggest ordering directly from Estes, Cackle, McMurray, or wherever you like best. Order them vaccinated, and have them delivered to your door. Forgo the pit-stop at the feed store. Safer, quicker, and easier, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree about having them separated from your other flock. Don't want an epidemic or anything.
When I got mine from Estes, I brought them home and wanted them close, so we have a bath tub on our enclosed heated patio and I put them in there with a light, food and water till they were big enough I thought the weather would be good for them ( and we got the outside run redone). Guess I did quarantined them. From the conditions of Orschlen's I don't think I would buy any live animals from them. Maybe I am to picky. That is just me. I feel sorry for them being caged up like that and every one going by and the kids wanting to hold them and a scaring them by going after them with their hands, etc.
After you have had a bad experience it is hard to trust again. I am sorry any or all of you have had any problems. Glad we have each other to talk to and get sympathy or advice from. Guess we are just loving, caring people. Thanks .

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. New subject.

My middle son purchased a pair of Porcelain D'Uccles yesterday from Teddizilla. Beautiful birds. He will show them for 4-H. They are separated from the flock because initial introduction went as expected- not good. Fortunately, I have a quarantine cage so they have their own space in the hen house.

Anyone use a converted rabbit hutch for birds? I have been researching and found several models I like and want to build. We are thinking ahead to when the "chosen" phoenix needs his own space. They are developing into gorgeous birds. We have silver, red, and golden so a nice mix.

No more bird purchases until Spring. We plan to check out Jacob's cave the end of March to see what we like, but otherwise we are good for now. I may need reminders later.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom