Plymouth Rock thread!

Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:
Thanks Wynette....1 of the 3 has pipped. Day 21 starts around noontime today, so maybe I'll have chicks by nightfall!!

I also made that "hard decision" of who's stayin' and who's goin' yesterday. I am keeping 2 pullets from the Ohio strain who have good tails, color, size and shape. One has exceptional undercolor. Will mate these 2 girls to my Canadian boy to add a little genetic diversity while hopefully maintaining the size that he brings

I have a lady in Rome, Ga (about 20 miles away) interested in a trio of the Ohio birds that I'll have left....hoping to get those to her next week

Gotta make room....I'm planning to put 75-100 chicks on the ground this year. Sounds like that is the only way to really get a good start

You know it! It's going to be an exciting year, Scott!

YIPPEE! A PIPPER!!!!! Crossed fingers for a most awesome hatch!​

fl.gif
Scott

Good luck Scott on hatch.

I will not hatch out until spring. From what I have seen and what I have read chicks hatched out in fall and winter to not get to full size. I have had a few breeders back me up on this too. I know locally we have many hatching out now since they have bators. That is way too much feed for me.
wink.png

One thing about the old barring on the rocks I liked it better than the thin barring of today. I think the thicker barring looked better. Not the real thick barring just thicker than it is now. It was easier on the eys and just made them more showy to me.

Ellie is absolutely adorable. She has such a pretty face.
Is she a Columbian, and a banty? Just starting to learn about the many different types of rocks...very interesting.

Carrie Lynn

Morning all....my first hatch is COMPLETE. Hatched 3 for 3 of my Columbian Rock LF from the Canadian trio!! Last one just hatched and is drying off. Will be placing them in the brooder by lunchtime. I also hatched 7 for 9 of the line from Ohio...giving these to a friend to work with.

I candled 9 yesterday that were at the 1 week stage and all are developing nicely. Also set an additional 6 yesterday. These 15 are all from the trio.

Once all these hatch, I'll be setting up individual breeding pens so I can keep up with dam of each hatch. I wanted to get some numbers on the ground first, just to make sure I had something growing out in the event something happened to the parents

I will also be mating the Canadian cockerel to the best two pullets (for size, shape, color, undercolor and tail) from the Ohio strain in order to develop a little genetic diversity.

So far, things are looking good for 2011. Praying for an early and PROLONGED Spring. Not looking forward to Summer at all, BUT, winter can head on outta here.

Here is a pix of my "hatching buddy" and a shot of the babies in the brooder

25882_cimg2271.jpg

25882_cimg2272.jpg

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Hi all. I have been thinking about a few things recently in respect to heritage breeds and the definition of them. I wrote up a new thread because I don't really post here too much and didn't want to throw off your conversations. But I would like the opinions of some of you if you're interested.

As a breeder of all Standard bred, large fowl, heritage breeds, this definition is near to me and affects me in what I love to do most. Please take some time to look at the thread. I'm guessing it effects most of you, too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=442234

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom