Chick broke out on wrong side - Another UPDATE: Post# 57

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Excuse my ignorance of the proper terms, but...

We have two eggs in the bator that are active. One has put a good sized hole in the top of it's egg, but I guess is now resting?

One has cracked an entire, pencil eraser sized section of the shell off, but it's on the bottom - facing the bottom of the bator.

Is there anything I can do about it? Will it be able to get out?

In just the last half hour we have started hearing peeping coming from the bator, not sure from which egg.

Not a very good pic, but here's the first baby:

4810_impjr.jpg

Last edited:
It should be OK. As they work at getting out, they will frequently start the egg rolling, and first hatched play soccer with their late hatching brood mates. The only time this might be a problem is if for some reason there is leakage from the egg that might drown the chick. I think you are still OK. Good luck.
fl.gif

Sit on your hands and have patience. You really can not do anything. I have had many chicks pip in the bottom and hatch out just fine. If you open the bator, you risk lowering the humidty and causing them both to get stuck in their eggs.

Thanks y'all. DH wanted to open the bator, but I told him we can't.

Instead, he is sitting in front of the bator peeping to the chicks to encourage them.
lol.png

I have heard someone once before had to intervene... for a different situation. They ran straight hot water out of all faucets in the bathroom and closed all doors and windows in there as well. Once the humidity got up, they took the bator in there and slowly helped their chick. I'm sure you won't have to help either of your babies, but I always keep this in mind in case it happens to me... so I wanted to share that info with you as well. Good luck!

The digital display just turned to "0", so we're still hoping for the best.
fl.gif

My big concern right now is that the water level in the reservoir is getting low. Our house is very dry this time of year, having to run heat, though we haven't had to run it today thankfully.

I've been told that the brinsea eco-advances recover humidity and heat very quickly, so I'll keep that in mind if the water level gets too low.

Thanks y'all. First time hatching and my broody hatched today as well. I've been a nervous wreck all day.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom