Chick broke out on wrong side - Another UPDATE: Post# 57

Gritty..I've had a few pip/hatch from the wrong end & they were fine. Keeping good thoughts for you!!
fl.gif

Quote:
Thanks so much!
hugs.gif

It's breaking my heart to hear the little thing peeping and not being able to do a dang thing to help it.
hit.gif

The bator is sitting on the kitchen counter, so adapting the tip I got from Cavendish Chickens I put a big pot of water on the simmer burner of the stove (next to the bator). I'm hoping at least a little of the extra steam will be pulled into the fresh air intake of the bator and help.

That little baby sure is working hard. I'm afraid the other egg has given up.
sad.png

Gritty,(just saw this).. opening the bator if needed will not kill or shrink wrap the chicks.
What you do IS: Get a NEW clean sponge or 2.(with NO chemicals on it..).... soak it with HOT water.... when you open the bator.. put the sponge in there.. you will see..it will keep the humidity up very good! I dont even use the water wells in the bators anymore...only a few sponges that i re-wet as needed..(usually morning and night..)..
I find i can control the humidity MUCH better that way... you can take out or add more sponges as needed..
I'd let the baby be a little while and see how he does..... but you CAN help him if needed..and you wont kill the other one...just keep the humidity up..
Good luck!
fl.gif

So...if your humidity is low..open it and add a wet hot sponge.... (but work quickly..dont leave the bator open long..only a second)
But watch the humidity closely..cause it will bring it up quickly.

ETA: If your humidity is low now..he may already be stuck in the egg and cant get out.....
sad.png
Not sure if you should check him out now or not?? Its hard to know WHEN to step in and help.. )

Last edited:
Not familiar with the set up of your incubator but I can tell you what I did for mine when I realized the wells were nearly dry and I had pips in the Hover-Bator hatcher.

I went to the vet and got the biggest syringe they had handy (60 mil! It's HUGE) and a big needle (16 gauge in my case) and a cup full of warm to hot water (not scalding hot!) filled the syringe and carefully inserted the needle through the vent and aimed it down into the wells. The needle gives you good aim. I was able to fill both wells without spilling any on the eggs and had a perfect hatch of 7 of 7.
big_smile.png
The warm to hot water will give an immediate boost to humidity which I needed as the wells had gone almost completely dry by the time I came home.

Good luck with your chickies
smile.png

Quote:
As long as the wells have quite a bit in them they are good. I don't bother filling mine all the way up because humidity is based off of surface are not volume. I still fill it almost all the way though.

True Robo, I thought mine would be ok but they dried out completely right when I had pips. We've had very dry weather suddenly after all the humidity and the bottom of the wells were dry and dull, not even shiny from the last of the water. I nearly died when I realized I had almost no water left. Talk about panic stations. After strugling to keep humidity down all incubation it decides to nosedive right on hatch!
roll.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom