Is it a Silver Sussex.. can you call them Silver Sussex?

Quote:
yes, but you *must* have *pure* silver sussex, and *pure* light sussex as the F0 generation. If you then mate brother to sister from the F1 generation you will get 33% pure silver, 33% silver carrying wheaten, 22% colombian and 11% Silver wheaten.

The Silver carrying wheaten will look phenotypically like pure silver, but will throw odd coloured birds, if bred as it if was pure silver.

Colombia, obviously looks like the light sussex, and so could be discarded

The silver wheaten looks like pure silver at first glance, however is duckwing and not crowwing (light flight feathers, instead of black).

However, all of this depends on the quality of the F0 generation in the first place.

And however you look at it , they are not "split" for silver
wink.png

And since we have no idea how pure the originals are ........
barnie.gif
What a mess this could be.

Quote:
You and me both!!! And that's why I keep coming back!

This sounds like a real mess, and I wish you all luck in sorting it out! Please continue to post here as you do tho, because we're all learning along with you!

Just to throw you a loop.

The woman that I bought some of my Sussex from has silvers from Greenfire. She crossed ( If I remember right) her rooster to lights and she got some Cuckoo Sussex. Yes I saw them myself at about 2 to 3 months old. Complete cuckoo coloring.

OK, from 1926... I'm sure a lot of colours have come and gone in many breeds since 1926!

I'm fairly sure the PCGB only has speckled, light, buff, red and silver (edit: and coronation) listed as "official" colours, but I don't know if anyone is trying to recreate the cuckoo colour.

having said that I have no idea what is allowed in the US standard of perfection! I have enough problems keeping up with the PCBG and the French SCAF!

Last edited:
Well this person was not trying to recreate the cuckoo color. It was the result of a cross. I believe she will be working on it as a project though now that she has a starting point.

Last edited:
Ok...so I have some Silver Sussex "Pure".

Now since they all come from a legitimate source, which leads back to GF Australian blood.

How can this ever popular breed continue on a path to "purity" without introducing european stock?

Is there any other breeders who are willing, or able to take on that next step?

What is the word on the street?

This sounds a little like the my early days of collecting BCM stock almost decade ago.

barnie.gif

Quote:
Thats my thought exactly. We need some new blood in these lines preferably from the UK. I have seen pictures of those birds and they look really nice. I have also spoke to a breeder in the UK, he said his birds are great layers, even through the winter and very hardy chicks. I am not gonna spend anymore big bucks on this breed, just gonna wait and see what happens. I do have chicks and pullets from my pure silver pair which are feathering out nicely. Anybody else want to tackle the task of getting pure silvers from the UK?? And one more thing I dont understand, while importing all these rare breeds from Australia, why just 1 pair of Silvers? I dont think adding another pair or 2 would have broke the bank, heck he was bringing them in anyway. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom