Is it a Silver Sussex.. can you call them Silver Sussex?

Fortheloveofchickens

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
I bought hatching eggs from a breeder who bought 2 Pure Silver Roosters from Greenfire and crossed them with Greenfire Light Sussex hens. I hatched both Silver and Split Silver/Light. My question is, can I call the Silver one's pure Silver? Are they pure Silver? Their color is not quite there, they are a work in progress but are they actually pure Silver's that need some work? I know the Split Silver/Light are of course not Silver Sussex.
I am told that they are NOT silver sussex. They are sussex and a color that is obviously a work in progress.
I also have Pure Silver chicks from a breeder who crossed Greenfire Pure Silver to Pure Silver..... They are Pure Silver right?? I am asking this as I have been told that I should not advertise them as Silver Sussex .
I do not want to be dishonest or misleading so I need to know. Help please. Everyone is advertising them as Silver Sussex... are we wrong?

Last edited:
This is the rooster in question.. he is from Pure Silver Roosters over Light Sussex hens...all directly from Greenfire.

IMG_1474.jpg

These are the pure Silver Chicks hatched from Pure Silver Parents

IMG_1500.jpg

I know that their color is not perfect and does need work but are they not still Silver Sussex???

Last edited:
Certainly not Silver. Silver in Sussex is Silver Birchen, which should look like this -

(NOT my bird)

birchen.jpg

It should be birchen, with a crowwing base. The only white should be in the hackle, saddle, and wing shoulders of the male. The Light/Columbian color you see in your birds and also in Light Sussex is Partridge, plus there's the Columbian gene, so really, it will take a few generations to get a true Silver. THEN there's still getting rid of the excess white in the chest once you have your Silvers.

Yep- agree with Illia- Silver to light sussex makes splits regardless of color of them- There are a lot of people on e-bay getting rich on unsuspecting buyers advertising pure silvers when they are not- A lot of breeders say Pure silver, when it has WAY too much white. Here is a pure silver chick- about 3 weeks old. Notice the dark coloring with some light around the head area.

73083_101_1082.jpg

Quote:
Even there, that male has a LOT of white, and the female too. But at least they are Birchens. If I were them, and a responsible breeder, I'd tell people beforehand how much work they need, then let the buyers decide how much they're worth in an auction. . . . Not automatically say "Silver Sussex" go on about how they're new and rare, then sell them at top price.

What I really don't get is how these are actually successful in being so expensive. They're a new color, but not the most thrilling of color, (in my opinion) and they're of a brown egg laying chicken who isn't a rare breed. Sure, it took a lot of money to import them, but. . . Come'on. I understand the Coronation ones, I understand Lavender Orpingtons, I even understand Lemon Cuckoos (but even those aren't getting the hype). . . . But Silvers I just don't get.

Sorry Silver fans for sounding offensive, I just want to understand why they're thrown out there so quickly and for such high price when they could instead have some more work.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
So would you call them Split Silver/Light Sussex regardless if they are Silver or Split?
What about the chicks from Pure Silver parents I have aren't they Pure Silver Sussex too?

Back
Top Bottom